Join the Madness

Saturday, September 20, 2014

Taking a Teen's Cell Phone....

Recently my daughter decided to leave the comfort and protection of our home and sneak out to go meet up with a (gasp!) BOY.  Our local police department put a swift end to her little adventure with a 2 a.m. phone call from my little darling and one of our city's finest.

She promptly got grounded, though that's not very effective when the only places your kid goes is school and home. BUT I also took away all electronics, and THAT seems to have hit the spot.  Since then, I've been receiving pleas to get her phone back...

First, the drawing (note my extra long arms):

ME: You've been a great child, here's your phone.
HER: Wow. Thanks Mom.


Then there was the LIST...



And ANOTHER list...



And then, finally, there was the letter:

Favorite line:  I grow more every day.
I'm not the same silly immature child I was on Tuesday.

(I especially like the deliberate misspelling and poor grammar)

Dear Mom,
I need my phone back.  I’m going through a withdrawal of no internet.

W/O internet ma speling iz gonna goe. I ned it so ma gramer an vokabulure donut leave. I hv 2 pass eith greatde or I wil b sad. Plz mum helpe a gurl owt an giv bak hur celuler divis. Or els I wil live with yu 4eva an eva until thuh daye yu dye.

Let’s save my grades and spelling with connection to the outside world, I learn new slang definitions every day! Being isolated from my world of cool kids will cause me to go insane. In fact, I already have.

Agin yu cood hv 2 live with thiss horibul speling 4eva an handrighting like Cody’s. donut lete thiss happin 2 yu.

So Mom, I grow more every day. I’m not the same silly immature child I was on Tuesday. I will not sneak out again for stupid reasons like so. But if Eminem ever comes to Marion at 2 a.m. I might. Just a warning. So I should have my phone. It’s very important to my vital social skills.

Thx Mum!!!




4 comments:

Karen and Gerard said...

I like your daughter's creativity and various tactics to get her phone back. I'd say you found what she values most all right.

SA Larsenッ said...

I absolutely positively love this! You are awesome. I loved the reason about getting kidnapped and having no way of contacting you. Here's a big HUG from one teen parent to another.

TheCyborgMom said...

My daughter is 14, so this just cracked me up! Oh, children...they are such joys ;) Good on you for sticking to your guns and taking away the electronics...that always seems to do the trick around here too.
~Katie

Melissa Ann said...

Taking away electronics seems to be the best deterrent around my house too. I shudder to think what will happen when my daughter gets older, her brother is bad enough. Good luck!