Join the Madness

Monday, March 24, 2014

Mock Me Monday - Time Management

I don't know why, but it seems on the weekends going to the movies is always a last-minute decision.  I check the listings, invite one of the kids to come with me and then we have to race out the door to make it to the theater in time.

Theaters must know this because they have extended the number of commercials and movie trailers they show before the main feature. This sometimes backfires though, because most of us don't care to sit through all the ads and the previews we've seen a dozen times before, so we put off going to the theater even longer.

This past weekend I checked the listings and decided that I could probably suffer through Mr. Peabody and Sherman.  It was starting in 20 minutes and it would take me that long to get to the theater, and even longer to navigate the parking lot, ticket line, and concession stand, but my daughter agreed to go so off we went.

We walked into the theater right on time and they were still running the ads, so we settled in and waited.

and waited.

and waited.

After 20 minutes, I went to find an employee and ask when they were going to start the movie.  She checked her movie list and said "That was supposed to start at 2:25" 

Yeah...that's why I hiked all the way out to the lobby.  Do you think I would walk out if it were playing?

So I trudge back to the theater, smug in the knowledge that MY interference was going to bring the movie to the masses.

But I waited.

and waited.

and waited.

This is ridiculous.  I thought.  Clearly they're just trying to subject us all to their ads.  Or maybe they hadn't sold enough tickets so were waiting until there were more people in the theater before starting.

After ten more minutes (a total of 30 waiting) I see an usher cruise through.  She was with the group I had talked to, so surely the previews would start rolling any minute.

But I waited.

and waited.

and waited.

STILL NO MOVIE.

I started to compose a scathing letter to management in my head.  I planned to out the theater on Facebook to all 7.5 of my friends.  Then, after 40 minutes of sitting in a dark theater, the previews FINALLY started.

And I waited.

and waited.

and waited....ten more minutes to make it through the previews.  I'd now invested FIFTY minutes of my time waiting for this theater to get off its hiney and show the film.

and then it happened.

The movie started.

and.......

.....it was the wrong one.  We'd wandered into the wrong theater and the movie WE wanted was next door, but since we'd sat for nearly an hour, there was no sense in getting up and changing theaters....and so we suffered through the Muppet Movie.  

It wasn't that the movie was bad, but it wasn't what I was expecting.  That's like going out for pizza and being given a salad instead.  There's nothing wrong with the salad, I enjoy them, but I like to PLAN to eat them, not be force fed them.

Periodically my daughter would lean over to me and whisper "WRONG MOVIE!"

So glad I was NICE to the employees when I asked about starting the movie.....

9 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Oh my...what a funny story.

I am sure it wasn't funny for you, though.

At least you had some time with your daughter.

THANKS for stopping by my blog earlier.

Elizabeth
Silver's Reviews
My Blog

Janet Johnson said...

Oh man! How annoying! There are so many different movies at a theater, so easy to do!

But haha! It made a great story. :)

Karen Walker said...

I don't think I would have been quite so nice. Great story, Vicki

L. Diane Wolfe said...

LOL!!! We did that once. Went to the 3D showing of Man of Steel and wandered into the 2D theater by accident.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Funny! I would've been happy with the Muppets though.

Lady Lilith said...

Lol. We have all been there and done that. At least the movie was not all that bad. It would have made the experience all the worse.

Sharon Himsl said...

Oh, how frustrating....and funny :) All said, I still love going to the movies...the popcorn, junior mints, all of it! Shells–Tales–Sails

Mason Canyon said...

Love this story. You have luck like me. Only, I probably wouldn't have been so nice when I was complaining.

Phick Steven said...

Haha...Any ways last minute decision is working out for you, that's a great things I would say. I have never succeeded in my life with the last minute decision. That is the only reason of mine to track my hours both in terms of work as well as in terms of the entertainment aspects.