Join the Madness

Monday, March 31, 2014

Feel The Love - Flex Able


It seems I’m constantly trying to poke and prod myself into making healthier choices.  I start off strong, but then the motivation fades and bad habits reassert themselves and before you know it I’m back to square one again. Sound familiar?

During my highly motivated periods, I set exercise goals – even if it’s as simple as a walk after dinner.  But nerd that I am, I like to QUANTIFY these movements and know how far I’ve walked.  I also like to know if I’ve had an especially busy day painting a bedroom or whatever if that activity was vigorous enough to take the place of the mandated exercise. 

…so I’d buy a pedometer, but it would reset a half dozen times during the day -- every time I bumped into something -- and eventually I'd lose it.  

Enter the FitBit Flex. (I am not being compensated for this post...it's real love.) It's a sleek and modern bracelet available in a bunch of colors.  It's water resistant, so I can wear it in the shower (but I don't...I'm really not all that active in the shower...).  There are no buttons, so I can't accidentally reset it. It also tracks my sleep and has a silent alarm to wake me up with a gentle vibration.  


It syncs to my phone / computer so I can check my progress from anywhere.  When I hit my goal, it lights up and buzzes in celebration. 
I'm not a slacker...I took this at 5 a.m.


I've discovered that even though it feels like I do a lot of walking at work (it's a big building) it's not enough to hit my daily goal, so I sometimes find myself speed walking through the house at night trying to put myself over the limit.  

My daughter filmed it tonight without my knowledge and O-M-G the footage makes all my Mock Me Mondays pale in comparison.  Me dancing (no music) willy nilly through the living room.  Me shuffle running in circles (she says I look like the white rabbit from Alice in Wonderland), me singing the step song over and over.  (Don't ask...)

Colossally embarrassing stuff.......but I made my 10,000 steps! 

Do you have a FitBit?  If you want to connect, send me a message! 



1 comment:

Dianne K. Salerni said...

That sounds really cool, but I prefer NOT to quantify my exertions, primarily so I can convince myself I did more than I know I did.

Which reminds me, I'm supposed to be spending 30 minutes with my smart-mouthed Wii this afternoon instead of sitting on the couch with my laptop and a bowl of snacks ...