Join the Madness

Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Holy Hypocrites, Batman

Every so often I hear a story in the news about some high school senior who gets him/herself into hot water for daring to mention God during their valedictorian speech or some other public event. Opponents squawk that there should be no mention of God in our schools because of one of our basic tenets - the separation of church and state.

Now, I personally find this a little ridiculous.  I don't know where our tolerance and common sense has gone.  It seems every day I hear of another stupid thing - kids not allowed to hug a friend on school property, kids not allowed to play tag at recess, etc.  It seems everyone has a nitpick these days and the media is quick to pick up the bull horn on their behalf.

How is it, then, that I didn't know until today that the United States Congress -- the heart of our government -- has a chaplain on staff that offers up a daily prayer before each session?  Now don't get me wrong, I think our fearless leaders can use all the help they can get, but how is it our best and brightest students can't offer thanks to God without someone lodging a complaint but our government can receive daily prayers without anyone saying anything?  Where's the separation of church and state there?++

Things that make you say hmmmmmmmmm.

2 comments:

SA Larsenッ said...

You just hit that right on the head. Where has our common sense and tolerance gone? I'm by far not a holier-than-thou type of person. But I do believe in God. So why can't I (or anyone) mention that in a public forum, when almost everything else is acceptable? #slapsheadondesk

farawayeyes said...

While I'm personally in favor of praying anywhere, everywhere and anytime - I get your point. Hypocrites seem to rule the world!