Join the Madness

Monday, September 30, 2013

52 Weeks of Kindness - Weeks 37, 38, & 39

Week 37:  While at Half Price Books with my daughter, I bought a cool journal with a print of Gustav Klimt's The Kiss on the cover and left it in the women's restroom in the mall.

Week 38:  More dollars in the vending machine at work.  I put a dollar in and waited until it got used before feeding another dollar in.  I found a lot of excuses to check on the machines, but I didn't catch anyone in the act of redeeming my gift.  But that's okay because....

Week 39:
Since I started this 52 weeks of kindness challenge, all kinds of wonderful things have come into my life.  Part of it, I think, is just being more aware - but some of it, I'm convinced, is the universe giving me back a little bit of what I've put out there.  My already charmed life has been blessed beyond belief.   I took last Friday off and decided to make a concerted effort to push that goodness back out there. 

First thing I did is left an disproportionately large tip for the lady who cut my hair (about 50% of the cost of the cut). The last thing I did was slip a $20 bill into a box with leftover pizza in it. 

There were lots of attempts in the middle that just didn't work out except the one that did...I stopped at McDonald's for lunch.  On a whim, I decided to pay for the car behind me again.  We were the only two cars in line so I thought I'd be able to pay, pick up my food and get out of there without any awkward moments of the other driver trying to catch a glimpse of his benefactor.

Fate had other ideas.

I'm sitting at the second window waiting for someone to show up.  I can hear the employee at the first window telling the guy that his order had already been paid for.  He starts yelling.  "Hey!  Hey!  HEY!" I'm having a panic attack because I'm really more comfortable being anonymous in all this and part of me is worried he might be mad.  Like I'm trying to foist charity on him or something.  Like I'm insulting his ability to pay for his own lunch.  Or worse, that he might think I'm flirting.  Sounds crazy, but have you looked at the world lately? It's pretty screwed up.

I look in my rear view mirror to make sure he wasn't going to get out of his car.  He catches my eye and says, "THANK YOU!" I smiled and give him a thumbs up sign.  STILL no employee at the window.  Seriously? This is supposed to be FAST food.

He shouts, "I've never had that happen to me before."  More grinning and nodding on my part. Where is my lunch already?  "Where'd you get the card?" he asks holding it out the window.  "I made it." I shout back as my food finally dangles out the window.  "It's nice!" he hollers as I drive off into anonymity again.

And so, after 39 weeks of putting things out into the world - I got my very first thank you.  

1 comment:

Bethany Elizabeth said...

I love this 52 weeks of kindness idea - it's true, the more you start to look out for ways to be kind, the more opportunities you see. :) I'm glad you finally got thanked, it's always nice to be appreciated, even when it's not your goal. :)