Join the Madness

Tuesday, August 6, 2013

52 Weeks of Kindness - Week 30

I nearly bit my tongue clean off this week.  The goal this time around was to listen without judgment -- which is harder than it sounds, and certainly harder than I thought it would be.  After all, I'm a Libra, I specialize in diplomacy and seeing both sides of any issue.  I thought the only real challenge would be a certain coworker at the office.   

What a laugh.  Truth is, I learned I have a tendency to compare other people's decisions against my own personal criteria.  If that's not the definition of judging, I don't know what is. I always thought it was an honest effort to understand the opposite point of view, but I think its just a means to emphasize my own position. Nothing like a little self discovery to screw up your day.

So, paying close attention to my inner (and outer) dialogue this week, I tried to squash that questioning voice as much as possible...and let me tell you it wasn't easy.  It seems everyone I talked to challenged me in one way or another.  Rather than dismissing anyone or anything, I gave listening my best shot and then tried to make sure my remarks were positive and I took my Mom's advice: If I couldn't say something nice, I didn't say anything at all. 

The puncture wounds on my tongue ought to heal in a few weeks. :-P


2 comments:

Little Ms J said...

Self awareness is sometimes a huge gift and a big ol mess to crawl over. You always learn something.

Hope your tongue heals up nicely.

Carole Anne Carr said...

Brilliant!