Join the Madness

Saturday, July 6, 2013

52 Weeks of Kindness - Week 27

We had a MONSTER garage sale the last few days.  Sales were respectable through the first two days, but I REALLY wanted to clear stuff out. I'm more interested in getting rid of stuff than I am making money.  The goal of Day 3 was to get rid of as much stuff as possible to save me the hassle of boxing it up again.  

I should add a plug to Craigslist here.  I used it to advertise my sale each day - updating the list of things still available for sale.  It's free and you can add pictures.  I will never pay for a newspaper ad again.  ANYWAY, I outlined my plan in my ad and got LOTS of great feedback from everyone as they arrived. 

What did I do?

For two days, no one looked at our bin of stuffed animals.  So I let every child choose one for free.  This cleared out a LOT and made dozens of kids happy.  Win win.

The adults I met in the driveway with my Outburst game in hand.  If you are unfamiliar, it gives you a category (things that are white, cities that start with B) and you have a certain amount of time to name 10 things that fall into that category.  I gave them one "bargain buck" for each correct answer and they could use it same as cash.  

The result? Some people got bigger ticket items at a reduced price, while others were able to "pay" for their new treasures entirely with the bargain bucks they'd won.  I got rid of a lot of stuff and everyone had a great time.  I can't tell you how many people thanked me for the fun -- and amazingly I didn't feel the need to hide behind anonymity this time.  

Best. Garage. Sale. Ever.

2 comments:

shelly said...

That sounded like fun.

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Garage sales usually aren't fun - good for you!