Join the Madness

Wednesday, June 19, 2013

52 Weeks of Kindness - Week 24

This was a busy week, but one that's left me feeling GOOD!  I'm smiling just typing this.

I've always wanted to be the sort of person who volunteered and got involved with things, and honestly I don't know why I waited.  Sure, it would have been difficult when the kids were little, but it could have been done. I found time to do *other* things. 

This week I attended an orientation for new Humane Society volunteers and attended my first tour/training.  I also (with the assistance of my son, oldest daughter and her boyfriend) helped the Meals on Wheels program assemble nearly 300 cups of strawberry shortcake.  It went by fast and we had a great time.  Can't wait to go back.

If you (like me) always thought about volunteering "someday", let me encourage you to make that day today.  There are so many things you can do - and in most cases you don't need any special training, just a little bit of time.  As little as an hour a week can make a HUGE difference.

  

4 comments:

SA Larsenッ said...

You've taken this to another level. Just awesome. Both programs are amazing and much needed. It's wonderful you've gotten involved to help both!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's very cool! Hopefully you don't bring home a lot of new pets. I volunteered at our college for an adult literacy program for a few years.

Ashley Nixon said...

How awesome! I enjoy volunteering! I started a committee at my work. We had our first volunteer day last week at a place called Food and Shelter for Friends. It was so rewarding! I've always wanted to help the Humane Society--especially now (we had a ton of pets displaced during the tornado). So happy you had a great time volunteering!

DL Hammons said...

Can you get any more inspirational? :)