Join the Madness

Wednesday, May 15, 2013

52 Weeks of Kindness - Week 19

If you could save a life, would you?

Of course you would, as long as I'm not asking you to risk your own well-being, and even then I bet a fair number of you would go for it. 

I'm talking about something that requires little effort and minimal risk to your own health and safety.  Interested?

Continuing on with the theme of things anyone can do, this week I did two little things that have the potential of making a HUGE impact in someone's life.

First, I registered to be an organ donor.  I've always said yes at the DMV when renewing my license, but then I heard that may not be enough.  It puts 'donor' on your license, but doesn't always grant doctors permission to harvest your organs after you're gone.  

To make sure you ARE a full-fledged donor, go to http://www.organdonor.gov/index.html and in the banner at the top of the page, choose the state you live in and it will direct you to the correct site to register as an organ donor.  It's quick and easy.  I hope to have many, many years before I fulfill this act of kindness, but since we never really know what will happen, I'm glad to have this taken care of.

The second thing I did was sign up to be a bone marrow donor. Go to https://donors.marrow.org.  You fill out a form about your general health and order your test kit.  That's it.  

So, what are you waiting for? 


4 comments:

SA Larsenッ said...

These are both very impressive and selfless. I am already an organ donor. I had a similar epiphany as you did, when I renewed my license. I kept thinking 'Why not?' I've always wanted to do the bone marrow list. I'll look into it. Thank you!

Carole Anne Carr said...

How wonderful, well done!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I didn't know you had to do more than list it on your license - thanks!

DL Hammons said...

Way to go YOU!! :)