Join the Madness

Wednesday, May 8, 2013

52 Weeks of Kindness - Week 18

I've been trying to do things lately that *anyone* could do.  Things with no cost and that don't take any special talent.  This week, I went out of my way to compliment strangers. If you've ever been on the receiving end on an unexpected compliment, you know it can really give your day a boost. 

I admired one woman's jacket, another's shoes.  Told someone I loved the color they were wearing, etc. It was fun to see their faces light up, but in the end I felt like I cheated.  It was too easy.  I compliment people all the time.  I did go out of my way, actively searching for people anytime I went into a public space, but it didn't feel like I made any sort of impact.

So, one night on my way home, I took a handful of change out of my ashtray in the car and tossed it (a coin or two at a time) onto the sidewalk by the elementary school.  Hopefully kids will find them on their walk to school and get excited.

2 comments:

SA Larsenッ said...

You know, simple is really better. These are wonderful (and simple) expressions of goodwill you are sharing. It will all come back to you. :)

Kristen Dyrr said...

Haha, the coin one actually sounds like a blast for the kids. I may try that too. Great idea!