Join the Madness

Wednesday, May 1, 2013

52 Weeks of Kindness - Week 17

Do you remember the magic of tossing a penny in a fountain as a kid?  Believing that your wish might come true?  I love those memories and the fountain at the mall has always been a favorite place.   Now that I'm all grown up, I like to recreate the magic for my kids, but sometimes I don't have a coin to give them.  Enter this week's kindness.

A couple weeks ago, I saw an article online titled something like "Proof the World Doesn't Suck". For one of the items on the list, someone left a small bag of coins next to a shopping-center fountain with a note that read "free wishes".  

I loved this idea, so I cleared all the pennies out of my ashtray in the car, put them in a small decorative box , and went to drop it off at the mall...but when I got there the fountain had been turned off, drained, and all the coins picked up.  Obviously, I didn't want to leave the coins at a non-functioning fountain, so I put it off until this week.  

Once again, I failed to see any kids find my surprise because daughterling wanted to get on with her day, but this is one of my favorites so far. Will be doing something similar elsewhere as soon as I accumulate more pennies.

2 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

That is such a beautiful idea. But if I did that here in Athens, I think someone would just run off with the whole lot! :-)

SA Larsenッ said...

What a way to inspire hope in people. I think I'm going to try this!