Join the Madness

Thursday, April 18, 2013

How My Furnace Curled My Hair

My furnace is dead. No, make that D-E-A-D. It's almost thirty years old, so its demise isn't altogether unexpected, but not exactly convenient since, like a lot of areas, we're still waiting for a real Spring to show up. Not to mention that Mother Nature has taken that whole April showers bring May flowers thing to heart. We've had weeks of rain around here. Not complaining, we had a pretty bad drought going last year so this is welcome, it's just a lot, and we could use a dose of sunshine already.



So, as I was saying, my furnace is dead. It didn't go down in blaze glory, and I suppose I'm thankful for that.  While sitting on the couch the other night I smelled something hot --like metallic, electrical hot. Not good. All strange could-be-a-fire smells immediately turn me into Basset Hound Mom. Running from room to room sniffing the air and every outlet/plug there was. It was seriously starting to freak my kids out.  My son went to hide in his room.  I turned the heat off and unplugged a bunch of things and the smell went away.



BUT I couldn't rest until I knew what had caused the smell in the first place so I started plugging things back in and when I turned the heater back on, the awful stench came back, stronger than ever. I turned the sucker back off. Mr. Repairman confirmed the next day that it was dead. Oh, he could fix it, but it'd cost about 30% what a new one would and he didn't have the parts anyway.

We normally keep the thermostat set to 68 in the winter, and without the furnace, the temp plummeted down to 60. Chilly, but not unlivable. Still, the thought of taking a shower and stepping out into the cool air was not an appealing one. So I decided to lug my stuff to the gym and take a shower after my workout instead. 



In theory, this was a great idea.   The gym is heated, and I'd be warm from the exercise. Win win.  The only problem is I don't usually go until my oldest is home from work (9:30 ish), which doesn't leave enough time for my hair to dry  so I ended up going to bed with my hair still damp and when I woke up it was massively curly. It looked like I'd had a perm...and when I TRY to curl it, it never looks that good.  

And so, as weird as it sounds, my dead furnace curled my hair. 

:)

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Well, at least a dead furnace is good for something.

Diane J. said...

Oh my gosh, too funny! Not the furnace, that's not funny, but the hair outcome...that's funny.

I, too, am a basset hound when something smells hot. I've called the fire department before when I couldn't locate the burning smell. They smelt it to, but they couldn't find anything either. It was bizarre. My poor kids woke to firefighters in the house.

RIP furnace...or should I say RIP bank account? Sorry.

Darryl Iorio said...

Vicki, your furnace already lived a long life. It's acceptable to replace it after three decades of service. Make sure the replacement you'll purchase is as long-lasting or outlived the one you've had before. =)

Darryl Iorio