Join the Madness

Monday, February 11, 2013

Mock me monday

**********************************
Rated C for Cody
**********************************

I don't know why, but I never had a crush on any celebrity growing up.  My walls were never lined with posters of teen heart throbs, and I never dreamed of meeting an actor or musician and being swept off my feet.  They just never interested me.  Maybe they felt too far removed from my life, or maybe my feet were just too firmly planted in reality to allow for any of those typical teenage fantasies.

I got to hear about a lot of star-studded crushes from my friends.  My best friend loved baseball and had a huge crush on George Brett who (if memory serves correctly after all these years) played for the Kansas City Royals.  

I suppose part of me must have been jealous of her blind devotion, because one year I went through the almanac (this is before the internet obviously) studying team rosters in search of someone to offer my heart to.  Bear in mind I was NOT a sports fan. At all.  I was offering my unwavering support to someone based solely on their name and team.  There were no pictures, no birth dates, no hints as to their character.   

The winner of my research?  Steve Garvey:



Clearly, true love can be found by randomly picking a name out of the almanac.

For the record, my obsession was short lived.  I never watched a single game or looked up any scores in the newspaper.  My interest in sports (and Steve) died until I started going to the Chicago Bears training camp....

5 comments:

Stina Lindenblatt said...

Oh I was most definitely your typical teen. It must have driven my parents nuts when I put boy posters up on the walls they took time to decorate with flowery wall paper (back when I was 13). By the time I was 16, I preferred seeing boys not flowers on my wall. :D

shelly said...

Funny. I was the same. My sister, on the other hand, screamed, cried, and snotted over certain celebs. It was embarrassing to say the least.

Hugs and chocolate,
Shelly

SA Larsenッ said...

Me, neither. I guess I had a pessimistic outlook on the teen stars of my day. I wasn't going to meet them or date them or marry them, so why care?

Yeah, I was a ball of joy as a teenager.

Kim said...

I was like you, I never had the adolescent crush thing...then I watched Doc Martin, and I was enamored.

Says a lot about me if you know about the show.

Bethany Elizabeth said...

Oh, I had huge crushes as a teen, but never on celebrities - it was always on the characters they portrayed. Alas. :)