Join the Madness

Thursday, January 3, 2013

What would you do...

I've got a question for you.
(You don't know it, but I just condensed 2 paragraphs of blah blah blah into that one line. You're welcome.) 

I've been mulling over the way the media vilifies the bad guys these days. Someone gets caught doing something they shouldn't have and suddenly everything they've ever done is viewed through the filter of negativity.  I have a hard time believing anyone is all bad though.
So....my question is this:
Suppose you have a friend.  This person has always been there for you.  They have listened to you and encouraged you.  They have performed countless favors, never asking for anything in return.  This is the one person in your life you could always count on to be exactly what you needed - whether it was a chauffeur, a chef, a counselor, or a cohort.  Got it?  This is your rock, and you have never seen them do anything remotely disconcerting.
But then you discover this buddy of yours is guilty of something heinous.  A murder, child or animal abuse, embezzling millions, masterminding a terrorist plot. Whatever.
What do you do?  How do you reconcile one inconceivable act with all those years of positive experiences? Can the friendship survive?



4 comments:

Nicole MacDonald said...

Would depend what it is and the circumstances. I'm a pragmatic person. That said if it was cruelty to animals/kids/people for nothing but their own amusement, well no, I couldn't overlook that.

Karen Jones Gowen said...

Well, the examples you use would definitely be deal-killers for me. But shoplifting, or cheating or a spouse, while I'd be disappointed I'd still be their friend.

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Yeah, I'm going to have to go with Karen -- the examples you gave are all deal-breakers. They would make me think that I never really knew this person at all.

As for lesser crimes ... it would be hard. I'm not sure I could ever view the person in the same light.

When I was in college, my roommate started an affair with a married graduate student. I tried to convince her this was wrong and she should stop. What happened was, she villified me to our mutual friends.

This taught me to never interfere in someone's bad romantic choices. And we were never friends again.

DL Hammons said...

The persons motive would drive my response. I wouldn't say it was impossible to overcome though!