Join the Madness

Monday, December 3, 2012

How I Gave Myself A Black Eye

Back in the day, I had trouble grasping the concept of irony, symbolism, and any of the other literary mechanisms teachers wanted us to identify.  I hated ruining a perfectly good story by having to analyze it within an inch of its life.  I wanted to read for fun, not dig for metaphors, themes, and all that other nonsense.  

But I digress.

My point is that while irony eluded me in the early days, I caught on eventually because irony has a way of hunting me down and making me take notice.
For example, I recently had the responsibility of ordering & hanging safety signs for the office.  Some pointed to the nearest exit, some showed the way to the storm shelter and some directed visitors to the nearest restroom (bathroom emergencies are every bit as important and weather emergencies!).  Easy, right?
It should have been.  Except where's the story in that?  I peeled the paper backing off the double stick tape on the Storm Shelter sign and stuck it to the wall. I threw the paper in the garbage right around the corner and missed the can so I bent over to pick it up but when I stood up I whacked my head on a cabinet hanging on the wall.  

What's so ironic about that?  I bonked my head on the first aid kit while hanging safety signs.  Hit it so hard I had a HUGE bump - and had a black eye the next day. Luckily it was gone by Monday, so I didn't have to admit to my embarrassing lack of coordination to anyone.

4 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That is funny! And I doubt ice was in that kit as well.

Stacy McKitrick said...

Is it bad of me to smile because now I know I'm not the only one to do stuff like that?

LTM said...

LOL! omg--Vicki! You bumped your head on the First Aid Kit??? That's like irony. :D Glad you're OK! <3

DL Hammons said...

If someone told me that story...without any names...and then gave me a list of names to choose from who it might be associated with...I'd have picked you! :)

Thanks for the Friday funny!