Join the Madness

Monday, November 12, 2012

To Hell With Propriety

It all started because I packed my dresses away.  If you live in a climate like I do, switching out your wardrobe from Spring/Summer to Fall/Winter is an annual necessity.  We made our switch back in October.   

But...
(There's always a but in my stories, isn't there?)
But, as I put my laundry away last week I found a lovely brown skirt that I thought I had packed away.  It was going to be in the fifties last Thursday, so I decided to wear the skirt with my knee high brown boots.
I didn't discover the problem with this plan until I went out to pick up lunch for a meeting we were hosting.  I work in a secure building which means there's a camera on the front door and you have to get buzzed in.  Anyone in the office can watch the camera via an intranet site, and so I hoped no one was watching as I left and discovered the brisk breeze trying to blow my skirt up.  

At the time, I laughed, thinking how I could write that into a story sometime.  But anyhow, I'm getting off track.
The lady at the restaurant handed me four plastic bags of food.  I snorted, and she asked if I needed help.  I joked that I always seem to wear skirts on windy days and I was concerned about having my hands full.  She laughed, clearly understanding my great dilemma. 
Sometimes I need to pay closer attention to that voice in my head.
One step out of the restaurant, and preoccupied with not flashing everyone in the place, I missed the curb.  I might have recovered my balance had I not been so concerned with trying to tame my skirt with the weight of the bags...so my hands were thrust unnaturally behind my body and ultimately I fell ... kinda skidded, actually, into one of those cement parking bumpers.  Squished two tubs of spaghetti and my skirt went flying over my head  anyway.  In full view of a restaurant overflowing with customers.
Thank God I was wearing underwear.  (Hear that, Mom?)
Next time (and you know there's always a next time with me), I'll be more concerned with keeping myself up than I am with keeping my skirt down.

********************************************
In other news, I am going to reveal the winner of the tarot card reading tomorrow.  Twelve days late, but not forgotten!

5 comments:

Nicole MacDonald said...

*LOL* I did that by the train station in wellington once! Have since decided if I'm going to wear a full skirt I'll wear extra nice underwear ;p

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Well, you gave them a lunch to remember!

Stina Lindenblatt said...

I have flashed cars stopped at the red light because I forgot that Lethbridge is call the windy city for a reason. *rolls eyes*

LTM said...

LOL! Thank god you were wearing underwear--*snort* :D

But I tell you what! This fall, I almost had the SAME problem. I was walking to my car in the parking lot of a store, and I was wearing this little dress w/a built-in bra... BIG breeze came, and I had to grab it. I'd have MAJORLY flashed everybody. LOL! :D <3

Shockgrubz said...

Haha! I'm sad to say I enjoyed your little oops moment more than I should have. At least you had your bloomers on!