Join the Madness

Friday, October 19, 2012

Nesting...

Not only am I writing again, but my creative juices are flowing all over the place.  My husband is taking the two older kids on a road trip next weekend, and I decided I'm going to redo the living room and dining room while they're gone.  I haven't done anything to the living room in years so I'm excited to get started.  

One of the things I'm looking for is new wall art.  A couple of my pieces can be re-used - like this collection of pics from my trip to New York...

Ahhh, the joys of black and white.  

I wanted to do a something with our name.  Originally I planned to frame individual letters of our last name and hang them kinda wonky on the wall, but when I went thrifting (never pay full price for frames) I found this large frame that I knew would work:


So I took it apart, flipped the picture over and lined it with black textured scrap booking paper



I'd picked up a pad of decorative paper and daughterling picked out the colors/patterns.  It was tough - there were so many cool ones to choose from.


I printed out giant letters on the computer and traced them on the back of the paper then cut them out and fastened them to the back ground.



I love love love how it turned out.  Can't wait to paint the walls so I can hang this puppy up.

Then, I wanted to make some decorative balls for a dish I've yet to acquire.  These are so easy and fun to do.  I got a pack of these mini styrofoam balls at the dollar store (for a buck...but you probably figured that out on your own).  I also got a butt load of brass thumbtacks for (you know) a dollar.  

I panted the balls first, just in case there was a gap between tacks.  Didn't want any tacky white showing through.



Then I just pushed in the thumbtacks.  Mine stuck really well, but depending on the styrofoam, the tacks might not fit snugly enough, in which case I'd coat the ball with tacky glue before pushing in the tacks.  Look at the finished product:


I've got 4 of these so far, but I'm going to do more (just ran out of supplies).  I'm going to experiment with getting different finishes on them for variety sake.  Will let you know how that goes.

What have y'all been up to?  Got any cool project ideas you'd like to share?

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That was quite the transformation of that ball!

Talli Roland said...

Oh, so cool! My goodness, you're creative. Not that it was ever in doubt. :)

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Very cool! The ball is so creative!!!