Join the Madness

Monday, October 1, 2012

Cock-A-Doodle-Doo

I don't know if I'm an overgrown child or whether maybe I have deeply rooted psychological issues (perhaps both?), but for as long as I can remember, I am compelled to make animal sounds whenever I pass by said animal.

If I see a dog, I woof at it.  If there's a cat, I meow.  Cows get a moo, sheep get a baa, you get the idea.  (Maybe I'm just waiting for an adult to praise me like they did when I was 2, I don't know.)

This condition tends to be problematic in Iowa where, thanks to our abundance of wide open spaces, there are a plethora of animals around.  Ask my kids, I sometimes sound like a Tourrette's patient the way I spew out animal sounds at random.  I just can't help myself.

Well, as luck would have it, I have another problem.  Whenever I see a train, I say "choo choooo".
No big deal you say?  It hasn't been up to this point.  Usually the only time I see a train is when I'm in the car with the family.  They already know I'm nuts, so I don't even think they hear me half the time.

The issue I have is that my new employer works in the rail industry so there are trains EVERYWHERE in this office.  Pictures on the wall, model trains in offices and cubicles, and trains used as screen savers.  Just this morning I saw a picture of a train used as the back drop on one of the guys' computers and the "Choo-" slipped out before I clamped down on my tongue before the rest could escape.

It's just a matter of time, my friends, before they figure me out.

Woof. 

5 comments:

Nicole MacDonald said...

...I'm trying to think how to make you sound more normal.... yeah, it's not happening ;p on the bright-side, the best most interesting people are usually stark raving mad *grin*

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Vicki, just go for it! Make them wonder.

Janet Johnson said...

You are so funny! Best of luck biting it back. :) Whenever I see a train, I always point and say "Look at the choo choo!" It doesn't seem to matter if my kids are around or not. :)

LTM said...

I always quack at ducks. But then I'm really scared of those big Canadian geese around here, so I bark at them.

what? that's wrong? :D

Susan Fields said...

Sounds like a tricky situation, but probably your new co-workers will come to appreciate your uniqueness. :)