Join the Madness

Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Susan Says

Everyone should have at least one person in their life who can call them out on their crap - and find just the right words to light a fire under their hiney.

For me, that's Susan.  She gives the best advice, and always knows just what to say to lift you up when you need it.  She's amazing, and I'd loan her out but I'm probably gonna need her to set me straight sooner or later.

Recently she asked how my book was going.

I admitted I was just climbing out of the dregs - hadn't written anything new for awhile. 

My problem, I told her (probably thinking I was clever), was that when I wrote a new part, it often conflicted with something I wrote before so I had to go back and change it.

She (rightly) advised me against doing such a thing.

I replied that it was like walking with a pebble in your shoe.  If you have a mile to walk and there's a pebble in your shoe, you're not going to wait until you've gone the mile before you remove the pebble.  It's best to do that right away so you can move on.

I was rather proud of my answer, to tell you the truth.  That's exactly how it feels when I go back to fix something in the early parts of the MS.  I can't move on until I fix the issue(s)...it's a definite pebble in my shoe.

But Susan wasn't distracted by my clever analogy.  She looked me in the eye and said, "There's a difference between removing a pebble and recreating the shoe. Don't recreate the shoe."

Whoa.

That's exactly what I needed to hear and I'm going to tape it to my monitor.  

Don't Recreate The Shoe.

What's the best cut-through-the-crap advice you've been given?

3 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Susan is smart. Too smart.

Carolyn V said...

Wow, I need a Susan in my life. Great advice.

Lydia Kang said...

That is some brilliant advice. I will have to remember this.