Join the Madness

Thursday, April 26, 2012

Most Mockable Moment EVER

The point of Mock Me Mondays has not necessarily been to open myself up to mockery (though I'm okay with that) but rather it's a means for me to come to terms with all the stupid stuff I've done. And as regular Mock Me readers know, I've set the bar pretty high.  But I've outdone myself this time.

I was going to keep this most recent humiliation to myself, but I'm hoping a public airing will help me "get over it"...and so I'm not waiting for Monday.

Imagine you took time off blogging so you could concentrate on finishing up your manuscript (guilty)

Imagine you had a great idea that changed the last third of the book
(mmhhmmmm)

Imagine after said blogging hiatus, you go to a conference 
(I did). 

You have a lovely time listening to the expert's break out sessions and meeting other writers
(I sure did). 

Imagine you attend a couple pitch sessions with Real. Live. Agents.
(yup. been there, done that).

Imagine that the sun, stars, and moon align and said agents ASK FOR PAGES.
(YAY! One full and one partial!  I did the happy dance in public)

Imagine you exit the pitch room and celebrate with other waiting (hopeful) writers.
(writers are the nicest people on earth)

Imagine you drive the five hours home, still giddy with excitement. 
Agents are going to Read. Your. Stuff.
(my poor husband...might have been a little too giddy)


With me so far?


Now imagine you get home, open up your document to find it corrupted.
(oh nooooo...)

Now imagine your last good back up is the old version...not the one you pitched.
(oooohhhh NOOOOOO)

30,000 words gone

Welcome to my hell.

7 comments:

Brent Wescott said...

Computers suck. I say go back to the typewriter, ribbons, white-out and all. I feel your pain.

Melissa Sarno said...

Nooooo. I just gasped. I'm so, so, so sorry. I wish you luck.

Stacy McKitrick said...

I'm so sorry!

But it's stories like this that make me THANKFUL I e-mail my manuscript to myself after everyday I TOUCH it.

I don't ever want to go through the kind of hell you're going through now. Good luck!!

Val said...

I'm feeling queasy.

Isn't there some computer genius that can salvage some of it? Funny how the naughty stuff always shows up on criminals' computers when they are confiscated.

Not that you're a criminal. But surely those bad seeds try to get rid of their stuff on purpose. So couldn't some accidental corruption be reversible?

Just a thought. As you can see, I am not well-versed in computer protocol.

Nicole MacDonald said...

Oh honey! That's god damn AWFUL! Major *HUGS* your way. If it's any consolation, you WILL right it better the second time round. I absolutely promise.
And more importantly...

OH MY FREAKING GOD YOU HAVE INTEREST!!!!! WWOOOOOO FLIPPIN HOO!!

I'm turning cartwheels in your honor *grin* you TOTALLY deserve it. Well done!!

Nicole MacDonald said...

...'write it better'... *hee* is late friday night and I suck at writing when tired ;p

Theresa Milstein said...

That is awful! Nothing to mock you about. Did you email a copy to yourself? Anyone?

Please go buy a computer back up, so this never happens to you again.

All I can hope is that 30k goes quickly since you've done it before. And I wish you luck with the partial and full.