Join the Madness

Friday, February 10, 2012

Cleaning House

It's time I started clearing out some of these draft posts I've been holding onto.  This one I started on April 22, 2010...poor thing is feeling quite neglected sitting in drafts for almost two years.


So, without further ado, here is my house building - story writing analogy.


First, you've got to have the idea (the blueprints).  And you need to make sure that your idea is marketable (don't go building a 16 bedroom house if your average consumer is only gonna pay for three).  


Then you do a high level outline (pour your foundation, put up the studs).  Your first draft is the plumbing, electrical, heating & cooling.  Character development is the same as adding drywall.  The revisions and polishing are the painting and decorating.


My problem is that I have a tendency to want to move walls around when I should be decorating.  Just like a real house, it's much more difficult to move a wall after it's built than it is when you're looking at the blueprint.  


I blame it on my characters: 


MC: Think how much more interesting I'd be if you had THIS over THERE.
ME: Hmmm.  You know, you're right.  That would work better, but then I'll have to change this and this and probably a lot of that, too.
MC: Well, what are you waiting for?  Get to work.  I'll just have a seat over here and watch.


Does it ever get easier?

4 comments:

Anthony said...

Using the house analogy, you could always hire subcontractors--other writers--to help with the house building. :-) Kidding aside, I don't write literature so don't know how easy/difficult it is to co-write works of fiction. It might be quite difficult. By contrast, it is sometimes necessary to "team up" in the academic world in order to get anything done.

Shockgrubz said...

Would a ghost writer make it haunted? Just kidding. I am totally with you on the backtrack building.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yeah if only our writing followed the same pattern as building a house we'd be all right.

Sarah Pearson said...

No, I don't think it ever gets easier. Thank goodness it's (mostly) fun :-)