Join the Madness

Thursday, January 5, 2012

Things I'd Like to See...Part ?

I don't know if this exists yet or not, but it SHOULD.


You know times are tough.  Schools and libraries across the country are dealing with slashed budgets and are expected to do more and more with less and less.


Not a fun position to be in.


Then I thought...


Why don't cash-strapped libraries use BOOK REGISTRIES to solicit book donations they could use?  It'd work just like your typical gift registry -- they'd list books they'd like to add to circulation and people like you and me would buy it for them.  


Schools could do the same thing with supplies.  


By defining things they need via the registry, you prevent a bunch of people buying the same item.  You also prevent people from buying things that can't be used. You know, like that weird cam of yams people donate to food drives.


 I would also link the registry up to local bookstores or Amazon/Barnes & Noble sites.


I don't know how it is at other libraries, but when we donate books to our local library, chances are good it will end up in the book store.


There's nothing wrong with that.  Book store proceeds fund important programs, but your donation is only likely to be read by one person instead of dozens.


But with a book registry, people like me can look to see what the library would LIKE to have on the circulation shelves and can donate accordingly.  


OR, you could make a cash donation towards a larger purchase - like computers.  Schools and non profit organizations could also benefit.


It would be even better if purchasing items off the registry automatically generated a tax deduction. 


If you know of a program like this -- let me know.  I'd love to help spread the word.







8 comments:

Miranda Hardy said...

That would be an awesome program for the school libraries. Very clever to think of. We have nothing like it here in South Florida.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Vicki, that is a wonderful idea! Seriously, suggest it to your local library.

mish said...

Really smart idea... and imagine if it caught on... and began spreading... out of control...

Kelley said...

I agree with all of the above that this program sounds amazing! It should be put into action.

Kim said...

When my girls were young, I'd ask the school librarian for book titles she'd like to have, and I'd donate one for each of the girls' birthdays each year. They'd put a label inside the book cover with their name on it, so they could see it.

Carolyn V said...

I would LOVE to see this kind of donation happen! That would be so great. But I haven't heard of any around.

April Plummer said...

I think that's a fantastic idea! Please...count me in! I've never heard of that before, but I think it's great!

Sarah Pearson said...

What a brilliant idea, and so simple, as all the best ideas are.