Join the Madness

Sunday, January 1, 2012

Pet Peeves

I'm about as easy going as they come, I don't want to give anyone the idea that I'm persnickety or anything.  Still, there are some things that bug me.

For instance it bugs me when ads (like bill boards) remain in place after the event they are promoting is over.  It's like a slap in the face "haha, you missed it".

When they run commercials for live events on TV (like the debates or the Oscars), the images they use get on my nerves.  How do they have footage of the event if it hasn't happened yet?  I know they're using a collage of images from past events, but it feels like false advertising to me.


Speaking of false advertising, what's with these diet commercials or ads for super products where they put "Results Not Typical" in fine print at the bottom.  How can they be allowed to advertise results that aren't typical?  It's just wrong.


And what about ads with a half-dozen lines of itty bitty print at the bottom?  No one can read that from across the room, and certainly not in the 5 seconds they flash it on the screen.  

You might as well add any commercial for a product that's supposed to make your life easier to the list.  The "before" shots always have some complete imbecile mopping a floor or chopping veggies. They are awkward and sloppy.  Most five year olds could do better.  It's all a ploy to make the touted product look easy and efficient, but it bugs me because I know some people really are stupid enough to fall for it.


I should have made this a commercial-centered rant.  I can't believe how many pet peeves keep bubbling to the surface.  What's up with the carpet cleaning commercials?  Does anyone with white carpet REALLY wait until it's gray before they clean it?  And does anyone really believe one pass will magically restore their carpet?

You know what else gets my goat (hahaha - besides that expression that is)?  When you buy something in a resealable bag (like shredded cheese or tortillas).  The plastic is printed with a dotted line that says "cut here".  Only, when you do, you STILL can't open the stupid bag.


And finally (I'm sure there are more, but this is all I've jotted down for today), I hate it when I call somewhere and wind up on hold for ten minutes.  They very kindly provide music -- usually classical -- to entertain me while I wait.  Only some companies feel compelled to play a message every fifteen seconds saying 


"All our customer service representatives are busy helping other customers.  Please remain on the line and your call will be answered in the order it was received."  


I know they're trying to be considerate and remind me that I haven't been forgotten, but what they're really doing is making it impossible to enjoy the music they're playing so I can forget about being on hold.  


Can I get a big fat ARGH?  


Thank you.

5 comments:

shelly said...

Smiles to you! I've got the same pet peeves.

Carolyn V said...

I hate the easy to seal bag thing! Can't they make a bag that is easy to open? *sigh*

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I opened a bag tonight with one of those stupid lines! And yes, I had to resort to scissors to get it open.
How about ads for sales that ended yesterday?

DL Hammons said...

ARGH!!!!! :)

Amy L. Sonnichsen said...

Yes, definitely ARGH about the shredded cheese bag thing. That gets me all the time!

And ARGH about interrupted hold music. HATE THAT!

With that said, those stupid infomercials make me laugh. Have you seen the one where the lady's trying to wash her foot with a washcloth and she can't reach? She's practically tossing the wash cloth at her foot and stomping around because she can't clean her foot properly. And then she gets this brush that attaches to the floor of her shower and all of a sudden her life is SO MUCH BETTER. It's hilarious. Especially when you think about how disgusting that little brush would get after about a week sitting in the shower. It's like an athlete's foot applicator waiting to happen. Ahhh....

ARGH!