Join the Madness

Monday, January 16, 2012

Mock Me Monday - Winterizing

Let's get one thing straight right now.

I hate winter.

Oh, the snow can be pretty while it's falling, but the sub-zero temperatures and the trudging through mounds of snow and trying to stay upright while walking on slick sidewalks is just not my thing.

In fact, I do whatever I can to shut the cold out. We've replaced all the windows in our current house, so drafts are minimal. Our old house was a different story, though. The first winter in the house I decided to "insulate" the window in our bedroom. Nothing wrong with that, right?

You might want to hear what I did before you answer that question.

To be honest, I was going to write this story about the time I put plastic wrap on the windows and accidentally sealed the scissors on the window sill under the plastic. But as soon as I started typing I remembered this OTHER incident...and it's waaaay more mockable.

Trust me.

It all started in the kitchen, actually. Our dishes were sooo cold, I knew we needed to insulate the cupboards somehow, but we couldn't afford to have a crew come out and do the exterior walls. What to do, what to do.....

You may not know this, but styrofoam peanuts are great insulators. No, I didn't pile them into the cupboard.  How would I get the dishes in there if the stupid white foam lumps were floating free in there?

I cut cardboard to size and then hot glued packing peanuts to the back of the cardboard. I slipped them into the back of the cabinets and it worked WONDERS.

Tired of the drafty window in the bedroom, I decided to try the same idea only on a bigger scale. The only problem is that I didn't want to spend the next three months staring at the icky brown cardboard. I didn't care about what it looked like from the outside because we had two huge pine trees outside the window, no one driving by would be able to see.  And it's not like I was going to be lollygagging under the pine tree in the dead of winter, right?

Soooooo....

I put together some 1000+ piece puzzles and glued them to one side of the cardboard and then spent HOURS (and I do mean hours) hot gluing the styrofoam to the other side. I have no idea where I got all the packing peanuts. I didn't buy them, so someone must have given them to me. Looking back, I wonder what they must have thought handing over a garbage bag full of those stupid peanuts.

It worked really well. The draft was stopped, but I really missed the extra light that used to come through. Plus, it was WAY more work than it would have been to just add the plastic window film which worked almost as well.

I may be an old dog, but I CAN learn new tricks.


6 comments:

Sarah Pearson said...

I never ever would have thought of something like this, I would have just moaned about drafts for three months :-)

LTM said...

Wait. I'm just trying to be sure I'm with you here... you glued pkg peanuts to the back of a puzzle and then glued them to your window??? LOL! :D *snort*

And I gotta say, the sticking your scissors to the plastic on the windows is something I totally would've done. ;p Ahh... winter. <3

Bish Denham said...

That's really a good idea. We have heavy plastic on our windows. I don't care that it looks tacky on the outside. It's lets in the light and holds back the draft.

Nicole MacDonald said...

Wow....I am so impressed with your tenacity!
Damsel in a Dirty Dress

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

When you get an idea, you just don't give up, do you? Hope you selected a sunny puzzle scene for the inside.

Rhonda said...

My hubby sealed drafty windows in a winter house and brought the temperature up by several degrees C. He used cheap painter dropclothes ($2 each in New Zealand). On windy days, the airspace between the window and plastic would fill up and the plastic would billow out like a balloon. Quite amusing.