Join the Madness

Friday, January 20, 2012

Brown Baggin'

I've been bringing my lunch to work a lot more recently. Partly to save money and partly to maintain a vice-like grip on my caloric intake.  With a McDonald's within walking distance, one can never be too careful.

My children are a different story.  Not that they have a McD's within walking distance to them.  I was referring to their desire to bring sustenance from home.

Daughterling #1 eats only at school.
 
Daughterling #2 begs me to buy her lunch boxes pretty much anytime she sees one.  Only she always eats a school lunch. I won't begin to tell you how many lunch boxes I've purchased over the years because I kept giving her the benefit of the doubt.  It's not that she is embarrassed by her lunch box or anything -- I used to let her pick them out  -- she's just never interested in bringing food from home. Now, when she asks for a new lunchbox I just laugh -- which annoys her, but I think I'm well within my parental rights.

Son #1, he brings his lunch three days a week (MTF to be exact).  And it has to be a Lunchable. It has to be in his puppy lunch box, and I have to write a note inside.  If I forget the note or pack him something else, he'll turn into Chicken Little -- you know "the sky is falling!" 

Seriously, you don't mess with his routines if you can help it.

Anyhow, I commandeered Daughterling's last lunchbox since she clearly wasn't going to be using it any time soon. It's a cute pinkish thing. See: 



Well, it wasn't until today that I discovered it's a Barbie lunch box. I'm forty something years old and am using a Barbie branded lunch box. Somehow that doesn't make me feel any more youthful.



 
Doesn't bother me.  I'll still use it...which it might just be enough to convince Daughterling #2 to reclaim it so she can start taking it to school.

8 comments:

shelly said...

Well, it could be a Sponge Bob or Thomas the Train one.

Sarah Pearson said...

Reminds me of the time I pinched my daughter's 'Groovy Chick' bag to take to uni. I was 36 at the time, but in defence, it was the perfect size :-)

Justine Dell said...

HA! Barbie! OMG that is so funny! But I doubt anyone saw the little Barbie embelm. And most woman LOVE pink, so you were stylin' anyway. ;-)

~JD

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

and i bet that one little patch which has absolutely nothing to do with the rest of the design, increased the price quite a bit.
my boys all brown bag (or white bag) it. disposable, biodegradable- i write their names on them, draw a little funny face, and off they go! :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I doubt anyone will notice.
When I was growing up, school lunches were disgusting. Why would anyone want to eat them?

Nicole MacDonald said...

I want one!!!! Seriously, that is so much cuter than the chinese takaway containers I re-use :)

Rhonda said...

In New Zealand, lunch boxes are pretty plain. Clear clip boxes, sometimes chilly bin style soft packs. I haven't seen too many "branded" boxes.

Susanne Drazic said...

It's a cute lunch bag. At least it's not one of those square metal ones we used to use when we were kids.