Join the Madness

Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Are you kidding me?

I call a lot of very big companies during the course of my day. Not all of them are created equal, either, not that it will surprise any of you.

How's this for brilliant planning on the part of Big Business?

Client wanted to discontinue paper statements in favor of getting them online.  This is a big trend nowadays, and most companies encourage clients to do this because they save so much on paper and postage.

So, I sign the client up for online access.  There was no option for electronic delivery, so I called the company.  They told me I'd have to put in an order to stop the delivery of paper statements, in order to get electronic ones so I did. I sent the login instructions to the client only to get a call ten minutes later that they can't get in. 

We reset the password, reset the User ID, but neither worked.  I called the company and had THEM reset the password and User ID.  Still didn't work.  

Guess what?  When you stop paper statements, you also automatically kick yourself out of the system so there is no way for you to actually access your electronic statements.  I wouldn't believe it if I hadn't witnessed it first hand.

I thought that was the stupidest thing I ever encountered, until this one I ran into this one TWICE:

I had to call a company to ask for their mailing address so I could mail in account paperwork. 

First, the rep asked me for my social security number.  I explained I was not the account owner, but I was preparing paperwork for him/her and could I please have their overnight (street) address to mail it in?

He told me he couldn't give it to me without the account owner on the phone.

I'm sorry, are you FREAKING kidding me? 

I know they have to protect client's data and all of that.  I understand and appreciate the need to keep personal information out of the wrong hands.  But all I was asking for was a stinking ADDRESS. The COMPANY'S address, not the client's.  Why on earth did I need the client on the phone to grant permission to Big Company A to provide me with an ADDRESS which should be a matter of public record?


Now that I've run into this twice, I have a very bad feeling it's a new standard and I'm going to have to start arguing with morons on a daily basis.


9 comments:

T.D. McFrost said...

A lot of these clowns only know how to do their job and are not capable of applying common sense to challenges outside their areas of expertise. I encounter them a lot and it is so sickening.

I totally get how you feel.

Sarah Pearson said...

I wondered if it was just me, but it seems that it isn't. It's almost as if business don't care whether you go with them or not.

Mary@GigglesandGuns said...

Here's my favorite... Request from company switch to online statement and bill pay. After I jump through pages of hoops they tell me it will cost me $2.50 each time I pay online.

Janet Johnson said...

My, my, my. That is insane.

I once switched to online bank statements, but when I got the e-mail, you could only access them if you used special software. Maddening.

Shallee said...

Ugh, that sounds SO frustrating. I'm impressed you kept your cool. Are all those hoops we have to jump through in the corporate world REALLY necessary? I doubt it.

Carolyn V said...

No way. That's crazy. I just hope you don't have to do it every day. Uck!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That last one is stupid! You need to find the address online and then call that guy again and tell him he's an idiot and you're mailing him a letter that says so.

BECKY said...

Idiots! What's that saying? Something like: You can't soar with eagles when you work with buzzards...Or something like that! I really get annoyed at stupidity, and bad manners!

Rhonda said...

Doesn't suprise me. Arguing with idiots can be a full time occupation. At least you argue with professional idiots (they get paid to give you ridiculous answers). I get to argue with the amateurs!