Join the Madness

Tuesday, January 10, 2012

Alice in Writerland

Even if you've never read Alice in Wonderland, you know the gist of the story, right?  Girl falls down a rabbit hole and meets all kinds of crazy characters.  Whenever she eats something she grows bigger and whenever she drinks, she shrinks.


It occurred to me today (and I'll spare you the round-about thought process that brought me to this conclusion, we don't have that much time) that Alice teaches us something about writing.


No, really.


Sometimes writing is fun.  Y'know, when the words are coming out just so and the story is filling up the page just they way you want it to.  


Most of the time, though, writing is a hard slog.  You try and try but the words just aren't coming, and you create more plot holes than you fix. Your characters would probably be a lot more interesting if they fell down a rabbit hole.  


Most days, writing SHRINKS you.  (wait, I should make that smaller....a giant shrink is kind of an oxymoron.  Let's do that over --> ) Most days writing SHRINKS you.


On the flip side though, reading helps you GROW. And it doesn't matter how good the book is, either. If it's crap, you can't help but think to yourself, "I can write better than that."


Am I right?  (No need to answer, cuz I know I am...we all have that book on our shelf that was so bad it inspired us to write something better).


But when a book is great, it inspires us to push a little harder and stretch a little further.  It shows us what's possible if we just keep trying.


So, you see? Alice in Writerland is very relevant. 


Eat Me = Read Me
Drink Me = Write Me 
(In another odd coincidence, writing also tends to drive us to drink) 


I have dibs on the Cheshire cat. Just sayin'.



5 comments:

Lou Belcher said...

Great post.... especially about writing driving us to drink. It is so comforting that others find writing hard. I've been writing for years and years and have finally decided that it'll never be easy.

Lou

Sarah Pearson said...

I very definitely agree :-)

Also, 'that' book on my shelf? The one that makes me feel better? Is probably the one I've read (well, skimmed), the most!

salarsenッ said...

I just laughed so hard I almost... (better left unsaid)
It is so true, isn't it? I'd love to have a cat like that. Ooh, the tricks I'd play. lol

shelly said...

This is a good post. Funny, too.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I like how your mind works, Vicki.