Join the Madness

Friday, December 30, 2011

Resolutions?

Tis the season for reflection and fresh starts.


Time to define success and identify failures areas for improvement.


My greatest accomplishment this year was going to my first-ever writer's conference.  Not only that, but I did it SOLO.  I can't tell you what a big deal that is. Way WAY out of my comfort zone...and it turned out to be one of the best weekends ever.


That's definitely on my list of things to repeat. In fact, let's put it on the list right now:


1. Go to another conference


I've also been atrociously (yes, that's an adverb.  I threw it in there to let you know just how bad things are) delinquent tending to my health.  I need to dust off the food journal and start moving again.  If not at the gym, I need to walk around the mall, do the Wii, or climb up and down my stairs.  


So:


1. Go to another conference
2. Eat better and move more


I've got something for my creative side, something for my health, I need something for the family. That'll keep these goals well-rounded. So...



1. Go to another conference
2. Eat better and move more
3. Spend more time with the family


Those sound nice, don't they?  But if there's one thing I've learned about goal setting is that they need to be SPECIFIC and they need to be MEASURABLE.


I've got them broken down into smaller, quantifiable chunks, but I won't bore you with the specifics.  


So what are your top 3 resolutions for the new year?


10 comments:

Nicole MacDonald said...

Read more :)
Write more
Exercise more
(and I'm throwing in laugh more as a sneaky extra ;p)

shelly said...

1. Professionally edit Secondhand Shoes.

2. Pick a book cover.

3. Get it foramtted for the e-readers out there.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Are you still looking for Craig Niedermaier?
I'm going to successfully promote my next book, be a good co-host for the A to Z Challenge, and complete my next book by this summer.
Happy New Year, Vicki!

Jules said...

I don't do resolutions but if I had to pick... listen more, learn more and freak out one stranger a day. :)

Happy New Year Vicki!
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

1.) Be more devoted to daily devotions
2.) Get healthy!
3.) ORGANIZE stuff (writing, schedule, house, etc.)

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Last year, I was invited to join in a "Write Every Day in 2011" resolution campaign, and I foolishly said, yes. It turned out to be the worst thing in the world for me, because I was *already* too obsessive about my writing!

So, this year my resolution is the opposite: To know when I need to take a break from my writing because I am too tired, too frustrated, too busy in life, or just plain stuck.

Cherie Reich said...

Great resolutions! And going to a conference by yourself is really the best. I did that last year too (way out of my comfort zone as well) and it was a blast.

Mine involve writing more, editing more, and reading more.

DL Hammons said...

My resolution is to focus less on the list and more on the methods. Goals are useless without clearly defined ways of achieving them! :)

Lou Belcher said...

No resolutions this year. I had some last year, met them instead of bailing on them, and will just continue my life. Happy New Year.

Lou

Amy L. Sonnichsen said...

I don't really "do" resolutions - lol - but my hubby is in a weight loss competition with his dad and his brother, so that will probably kick my butt to exercise more, since he will be exercising more (or he'll lose a lot of money and I will not be happy!!). So, I guess that's half a resolution.

I went to my first conference a couple summers ago and a second conference a little while after that, both on my own. I was similarly scared!

(I got your sweet package! Thank you so, so much. Of course the chocolate is already eaten up! :) Yum, yum! )

Happy New Year!