Join the Madness

Wednesday, December 28, 2011

I Wonder Why...


Just a few of the things that I ponder from time to time:


People tell you NOT to drive into flood water -- but whenever it's flooding somewhere what do they show you on TV?  People driving through flooded streets.  DUH


Some cities have symphony orchestras and others have philharmonic.  What exactly is a philharmonic?  (Note: I actually looked this up...anyone have a guess without cheating with Google?)


I wonder why when someone asks for my phone number at work, I have to close my eyes to recite it?


Why do my nails get dirtier faster when they are clipped short than when they are long?  Wouldn't you think longer nails would "scoop" up dirt easier than short nails?


Some cities post mileage signs for every tenth of a mile.  This seriously drives me crazy.  With the prevalence of GPS these days I can't believe this was a wise investment of taxpayer dollars.


If someone steals your Social Security Number in order to get a job, do the taxes withheld from their paychecks go toward your retirement?


If there's something you just don't get, please share in the comments...

9 comments:

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

The social security one is a good question!!

Jules said...

You must have had a good Christmas to be able to have those conscience thoughts. :) So am I going to have to Google Philharmonic?
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Nicole Ducleroir said...

These made me laugh! Happy New Year, Vicky!!

Dianne K. Salerni said...

I am busting up laughing here, because I always thought our philharmonic orchestra was called that because it was the Philadelphia orchestra. I thought we made it up! :D

Now I'm going to have to go look it up ...

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

the success of that jersey shore show.

Val Thevictorian said...

Here's my guess on the philharmonic orchestra. "Phil" means love, I think. Like Philadelphia is the city of brotherly love, and a philanthropist loves people and helps them...so I'm guessing that a philharmonic orchestra is made of music lovers who might have other jobs besides professional musician. Or it could have to do with different instruments. Anyway, I stayed away from Google.

DL Hammons said...

I'm with Vic....really...Jersey Shore????

Janet Johnson said...

Amen about the road signs!

I don't get why they have button-up pants for toddlers. Seriously. Did the designer never potty-train?

Sarah Pearson said...

Why is it I can look at my watch, then 30 seconds later someone asks me the time and I have to look again?