Join the Madness

Thursday, December 29, 2011

Don't Get Me Started

I'm a HUGE HGTV fan.  If I have the flipper, that's the first channel I turn to.  Don't always stay there, but it's my starting point every time.


The other night I was watching one of the buying-a-new-house shows.  These shows tend to get on my nerves because they have couples wandering through a perfectly functional house ripping it to shreds.  "Well this needs to be gutted."  Why?  The color of the kitchen cabinets is too dark/light for you?  The appliances aren't stainless steel?  In my world, you live with something until it is no longer functional THEN you replace it. 


But I digress...sorta.


This particular episode was devoted to a young twenty something buying her first place. 


My jaw dropped when I heard the budget.  $600,000.  I won't tell you how many of my first house you could buy for that amount, but you'll need more than one hand.


Yeah, I know some cities have really expensive real estate, that's not really the point...read on.


During the search she had a complaint about every single house.  No parking. The rooms were too small (but somehow way bigger than the ones in my house). The lack of a yard. Blah blah blah.  Some of these houses were fantastic -- just not good enough for her.


So her Mama offered to "loan" her some cash to increase her budget so she could get a nicer place. 


Like a million dollar place.


Are you freaking kidding me?  I seriously don't even know where to begin. 


I could go on and on about fiscal responsibility and living within your means.
(Just because you can afford something doesn't mean you should buy it.)


I could offer my perspective on the materialistic nature of our society. 
(I'm pretty sure you can be happy without granite counters and matching appliances.)


I could observe that if her first house is worth a million dollars, what's there to look forward to? I shudder to think how much real estate she'll require when she actually has children.


But mostly I want to make the snarky observation that it's hypocritical to accept $300,000 from your mother when the whole point of you moving out of your parents' house was to assert your independence.

6 comments:

Kim said...

I wonder if I can find this stuff online - I'd love to see what she's rejecting!

Sounds like a spoiled princess - a role I've always aspired to, but alas, have never attained.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

And I agree with you on every point! It's like the sixteen-year-old who gets a new car for his birthday. No way! He needs a clunker first so he'll learn some responsibility first and appreciate a new car when he gets it.

Kelley said...

I watch HGTV a lot too. The people like that get on my nerves. I watched the new sow my house your money, or whatever its called. and it was this guy and his girlfriend and the girlfriend was a brat and said if the didn't live in the city she would leave him. So the parents had to give them more money to make the girlfriend not eave.

It was so stupid.

Stacy McKitrick said...

No offense, but I'm glad I don't watch those shows. They would drive me NUTS. And I'd probably rant about it, just like you did! :)

Val said...

In the spirit of allowing folks to brush up on math word problems, I share the following information.

That gal's original budget would have bought the number of my first houses that you can count on seven hands. With enough money left over for nice riding lawn mower.

Yes, it was a fixer-upper. And yes, I live in a rural area of the midwest.

Heather Day Gilbert said...

We're a spoiled lot these days! Sad but true!