Join the Madness

Tuesday, November 1, 2011

Ultimate Recycling

I've been beefing up my summer wardrobe in preparation for my first trip to Mexico.  The only thing I need now is a cover-up for my swimsuit.  But cheapskate that I am, I didn't want to spend anything for it.


So.....I got creative.


I went to the thrift store and got the largest white T-shirt I could find (I wanted my cover up to be plenty roomy)


I found this one:





See? Just a plain white T.  
(crap, now I'm gonna get a zillion searches for the band)


So BOOOOOOOOOOOOOORING.  The shirt, not the band.


I did some Googling and some YouTube surfing and came up with a plan to spruce it up just a bit.  


First, I cut the bottom into strips like this:




That was okay, but I can't cut a straight line to save my life and it was WAY obvious.  Fortunately, when you PULL on T-Shirt material, it kinda rolls up so all of your crooked cuts are camouflaged.  Like this:




That was better, but still not what I wanted.  

I took two "strings" and tied a knot about a third of the way down.  After I did that all the way around, I went back and tied the right string from one knot to the left string of the next.  

To finish up, I cut out the neck and fringed the sleeves.






This is just what I wanted, casual, cheap (only cost me ONE DOLLAR!) and roomy!  

I saw a version where you string beads on the fringe, and while that was kinda cool -- I didn't trust myself to find the right combination to keep it from looking juvenile.

7 comments:

Steve Bailey said...

You totally just "jellyfished" that shirt!!

salarsenッ said...

Nice! You could tie-dye it too, for all festive Mexico! :)

Susan Fields said...

You're so creative, and it turned out great! Have fun in Mexico!

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

ohman! this is really creative and cute!
usually, i'm boring and just wear a tshirt over my swimsuit... and shorts over the bottoms...
i AM a prude, though! :P

Kristi said...

I'm impressed...my crafts NEVER turn out that good. :)

Have FUN in Mexico (as if I need to say that, right?)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Cheap and creative! Great combination.
Crap, that sounds bad, doesn't it?

Shannon said...

omg that is such a great idea. Never in a million years would I have thought to do that. I think I spend too much on retail therapy. I just bought *another* pair of boots. I could take some lessons from you. :)