Join the Madness

Thursday, November 10, 2011

Things I'd Like to See Part 6 (?)

I'm baaaaaack with another list of fabulous products/services/gadgets/wizbangs to make my life (and I hope yours) easier.  Without further ado, let's get started.


1.  Now that I'm a Kindle owner, I really wish there were one universal format for ereaders.  So when I get a gift certificate to Barnes & Noble or Amazon or that cute little indy shop down the road, I'd like to know that I could stock up on reading material.  Imagine if music or movies all had proprietary formatting.  Are you likely to want to have a different CD player for each of the major studios?


2. Also, now that I own a Kindle I have a newfound conflict when it's time to purchase books.  Paper or digital?  I would love it if the publishers allowed you to download the electronic version of the book for free or 99 cents when buying the paper copy.


3. I wish there was a little clock in the corner of the TV that would count down commercials so you knew whether or not you had time to go to the bathroom/make a sandwich before your show came back on.  I KNOW a lot of you have DVR and so this problem fixes itself, but some of us are still living in the dark ages and would like the counter.


4. Frequently these days I wander through the store looking for *something* and I can't find it. I know they have it, just don't know in which of their 47 aisles it can be located.  On these occasions, I'd love to whip out my phone and text "straws" or "face paint" to the store and have someone text me back with the location.  I know a lot of you have smart phones and there's probably an app for that...but I still think having texting capabilities is pretty advanced.


5. QR codes are awesome.  If you don't know what I'm talking about they are those black and white squares with blotches and squiggles inside.  If you take a picture with your Smart Phone, you are automatically redirected to a website.   (Google image) I have a couple new applications


6. During a recent car buying trip, our salesman had to keep digging out a piece of paper out of his pocket to tell us what the prices of the cars were.  The dealership REALLY ought to invest in QR codes for each car.  Most put their inventory online anyway, right?  By putting a QR sticker on each car, salesmen could pull up the information on their phones.  It would also be helpful if people shopped on Sundays to avoid the salesmen, but still wanted more information on the car.


7. When I first started going to the gym a year or so ago, there was a lot of equipment there that I found intimidating as hell.  I wish the gym would have posted a video on their website on how to use each piece of equipment.  Once I learned about QR codes, though I thought it would be cool if they would put a QR sticker on each machine so if you're not sure, you could whip out your phone and be patched through to a video demo.


8. I'd like to see you sign up for the Well I Never Blogfest.  On December 1st just complete the prompt: Well, I never....make it a confessional, make it over the top crazy, make it a soapbox about something you just don't understand.  You making it will make my day!

7 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

I have the EXACT same problems as you with my Kindle. what can't it be like one size fits all? I also don't know how to purchase anymore. I still LOVE reading a REAL book, to hold it in my hands and say I love you, but sometimes the Kindle is just cheaper and faster and it bothers me that I think like that. Mind you, when I go to read a book now, I choose based on whether I feel like holding a real book or not. The paperback usually wins in the end.

And YES! I've thought about that commercial timer too! Genius that is.

Matthew MacNish said...

You realize you've probably got some valid patents here, right, Vicki?

Jules said...

QR codes ARE cool but my phone is blind to them and if texting is in the dark ages, I'm a dinosaur. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Getting the eBook version for free after purchasing the physical copy is a good idea - make it so.
And that is one thing I like about my iPad - I have apps for Nook and Kindle, so I can download any version of eBook.

DL Hammons said...

Next thing you know there'll be QR code tatoo's. Just scan it with your phone and you'll be directed to their Facebook page! :)

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I'm thinking you need to submit those last two ideas to the appropriate companies. Very clever.

Nicole MacDonald said...

Have you downloaded the calibre converter? You can convert whatever format ebook to whatever format you like :) very useful tool