Join the Madness

Tuesday, November 8, 2011

He Lied to Me!

One of the kids watched 101 Ways to Leave a Game Show awhile back.  

Not a fan, personally.  

My biggest beef with game shows these days is how they stall the action to increase the suspense and tension and it pisses me off.  Yeah, sorry about the language, but it does.  Like Deal or No Deal for instance. The way they stall before opening cases drives me crazy.  

Bob Barker didn't do that. 
Pat Sajak didn't do that.  
Alex Trebek didn't toy with the contestants.  

It's a new trend I tell you and it sucks. Just play the damn games already.


But I'm getting off topic.


So one of the questions on this show was:  

Which two of the following were once an Olympic Sport?


-tug of war
-croquet
-arm wrestling


I thought I had this wrapped up.  You see, I had a neighbor once who told me he had earned an Olympic medal in arm wrestling back in the 80's.  Imagine my shock when the game show announcer guy said the WRONG answer was arm wrestling.


I sat here sputtering, "But...but...but...that means he LIED to me!"


I even Googled it to make sure. 


Boy, do I feel stupid finding out some loser lied to me and I BOUGHT it for twenty years.

12 comments:

shelly said...

It's okay. I couldn't tell you how many times I fell for someone's kaka.

Susan Fields said...

That really bothers me about Deal or No Deal, too - just get to the game already!

Bish Denham said...

Yeah, the stalling for the sake of suspense irritates me too. They do it on those contest shows too like American Idol and Dancing With the Stars.

And the person going home this week is

Kelley said...

I really dislike the stalling as well. I agree with just play the game! And I have believed a lot of stuff from people so your not alone.

Julie Dao said...

I'm with you on the reality/game show stalling. You're right that the old greats never had to do that! I guess that's why I don't watch any of these new shows :/ I can't believe your neighbor would lie about something like that! I would have fallen for it too!

DL Hammons said...

Maybe it was those other Olympics? :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Nothing like the old classic shows. They knew how to do it right.

Deniz Bevan said...

Aw, that's so sad!
But boy do I agree with you - that pause for fake drama is so ridiculous.

Talli Roland said...

I hate all the drama etc these days on game shows. Give me Jeopardy any time!

Copyboy said...

If it makes you feel any better I liked the movie Over The Top.

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I'm with you...get to the game!

Manzanita said...

Boy, guys will tell you anything these days to brag up their biceps.