Join the Madness

Tuesday, November 29, 2011

Blast from the Past


Twenty years ago today my husband and I went on our first date.  One of these days I'll illustrate THAT story, but in the meantime, enjoy this re-run of how he and I met:

************************************************

November 26, 1991
Another dull work-day.  The building was built around a courtyard so I could look into the offices (all glass fronts) on the other side.


(click to enlarge)



Things were slow, and in the five weeks I'd been there I'd already reorganized everything I could think of, so I spent an inordinate amount of time staring out the window into the other offices.

Directly across from me was the broadcasting / travel school where my friend Karen worked.  She had told me about the job opening, and I was hired on my birthday. Students would often come up front and talk with her, and one in particular caught my eye.



I'd noticed him before.  He spent his mornings either in the radio booth or up front shootin the breeze with Karen.

On this fine day in November, I called Karen as soon as he went back to the booth.  Our conversation went like this:

"Hey. It's me. Who was that?"

"Who was who?"

"Who were you just talking to?"

"Jeff?"

"Is that his name?"

"Yeah, why?"

"He's got a nice ass."

*click*

And he did, friends.  He totally did! He'd just gotten out of the Marine Corps a few months before.  Need I say more?



She laughed...more from the fact that I'd called her up just to share my opinion than because she would even dare to disagree with me. 


Karen, of course, told Jeff what I had said almost as soon as we hung up.  I should have expected it, but in truth, I was just acting on impulse, and severe boredom. I about died of embarrassment when he walked in a few minutes later.



I don't remember our initial conversation except it was a little awkward, what with my face burning up all the oxygen in the room.  He asked for my phone number and I thought he would call me that night, but nope.  No such luck.  The next day, (Wednesday) he came back and asked me out for Friday.


YAY!


I forgave him for not calling.


K-Bear saw my illustrations and decided to draw her own version.  So now, for poops and giggles, here is her version:




She tells me that is NOT a bug flying off her daddy's head....



Don't you think we look like green M&M's here or maybe lima beans?









A reminder about the Well I Never Blogfest December 1st. Just post a line or two about something you've never done, never thought you would do or just don't understand. 
 
Sign up below:
 



15 comments:

Nicole MacDonald said...

Ooooo... I got stuck at Marine Corps *swoon* love a man in uniform ;p

Dianne K. Salerni said...

Aaaaw! What an awesome story! Clearly, complimenting strange young men on their butts is the way to go to get a date!

salarsenッ said...

Okay. Now that was both funny and sweet. Thanks for sharing it. Love the butt...

shelly said...

More like blonde lima beans.

DL Hammons said...

It all worked out IN THE END! *slinks off* :)

Stina Lindenblatt said...

ROFL!!!!!!!!!!

That was soooo romantic. It bought tears to my eyes. :D

Amy L. Sonnichsen said...

Thanks, I really needed to split my guts open laughing this morning!

Awesome!!

KarenG said...

Ha this is priceless!! I love how you captured your courtship in cartoons and even got your daughter involved. Oh man my face is splitting I'm smiling so big. (And it's so true about the Marine Corps for sure)

mshatch said...

aw, that's sweet. How nice you have a romantic story to share with your daughter about how you met.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That was hilarious! And I thought only guys noticed nice asses. It wasn't the first thing I noticed about my wife, but pretty sure it was the second.
And I say you look like M&Ms.

Lydia Kang said...

Your drawings rawk. Will you do more? Especially the preternaturally glowing derrieres!

The Happy Whisk said...

Wishing you the most happiest of anniversaries. And yes, platform heals and baking. It's the only way.

Gina Leigh Maxwell said...

Vicki, I'm so glad I came by to see your "Blast from the Past" post. I love this story! The illustrations are what made it, tho. You should frame them and hang them in a hallway with wooden letters above that say "The Story of Us." LOL #totallyclassy

LTM said...

BAH!!! *snort* That is AWESOME! I want to know how big that courtyard was/is that you could see hubs's glowing butt all the way to your desk-!

And do you really say "mwah" when you kiss? Too sweet. I like the little lima bean heads kissing. :D

this is so great. <3

Susanne Drazic said...

Aww, how cute! Fun illustrations.