Join the Madness

Friday, October 28, 2011

I Am NOT A Prude.

I am not a prude, but this year shopping for Halloween costumes pushed me over the edge.

I visited several Halloween stores and searched for costume ideas online.  And I want to know WHY all the girl costumes (over the age of about 5) are so skimpy?  

The problem is threefold for me.  

First, no way do I want my girls (10 and 16) running around with so much skin exposed.  

Since when does Halloween = sex?  

Do we really want our tramped up darlings going door to door to beg for candy?  

Second, I live in Iowa.  And the weather is pretty much a crap shoot on Halloween.  It's usually better to have a costume where at least MOST of your flesh is covered in case it snows....


Third, these itty bitty "costumes" cost an arm and a leg.  I'm not kidding it's nothing for one of these specialty Halloween stores to charge $50 for a couple ruffles and ribbons. I refuse to pay that much for something the kids will only wear once.

In a quick 30 second search, here's what I found to illustrate my point:

"The Cupcake Girl"
Oh yeah, this reminds me of a cupcake. 
(insert sarcastic eye roll)





 The Referee
I don't even wanna know what sport she's monitoring.

 






















Elmo
In a way, this one disturbed me more than the others.  

 

I can't even begin to tell you how WRONG it is to make Elmo - beloved by 3 year olds everywhere - into something sexy.  

Ewwww, people.  Just EWWWWW.

If adults want to run around in lingerie, fine.  Personally, I prefer it when people dress up like a real cop or real referee and not these micro mini nightmares...but that's just me.

Would you let your daughters wear any of these?

12 comments:

Caledonia Lass said...

Not just NO, but (pardon my language) HELLLLL NO! I don't get it either. Seems like the past several years, everything is about sex or being sexy so much to the point it is desensitizing kids. It's wrong, morally, to push stuff like this onto kids. They SAY its for adults, but we all know better.
I'm not a prude either, but geez. Sorry, I'll get off my soapbox now.

cherie said...

Ugh! I know what you meant. It is so WRONG on all levels. It's too much. All I can say is I fear for my children and for their future, for a world that continues to wallow in filth and praise it as if it were gold. Why can't we just have a Halloween that doesn't equal sex? I wish I had the answer to that.

And I'm no prude, either.

Miranda Hardy said...

I ran into this last evening when I took the kids shopping for costumes. The only ones my 16 year old daughter wanted were way to sexy. They sure didn't have these costumes when I was that age.

Jessica Bell said...

Holy crap! That's disgusting! Really? They're advertising these things for young girls?

annaliterally said...

Nope, it's just wrong. Oh, the sexy fairy costumes they have for preteens, it's just sickening.

Fortunately, my 9YO wanted to be a vampire bunny. We found a costume that was floor length, and threw a cape on her. She even added tights. The only flesh that shows is her wrists! LOL

salarsenッ said...

Totally agree!! Where I live, it might snow on Halloween. Rain at the very least. It's usually freezing. I'm saddened by the marketability of these costumes for younger girls. Parents need to just say 'NO.'

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

ok, i AM a prude.
so- SHOCKED!
but, i can't help thinking about the halloween party on mean girls- have you ever seen that movie?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If I had daughters, absolutely not! I'd send them out as a well-wrapped mummy.

LTM said...

this post is in serious need of sartalics! ;p

No, I completely agree with you about the price and the skimpiness. Esp. now that we're in Indy and I think the high today's going to be 49. *brrr*

That referee, btw, is clearly for roller derby, and I guess that Elmo girl is hoping to be tickled...? :D

A.L. Sonnichsen said...

Absolutely not! :)

Susanne Drazic said...

Guess I'd be called a prude, because if I had daughters, they'd not be going out in skimpy outfits. I remember dressing up as a farmer one year. I had a sister who dressed up as a baseball player one year.

Jules said...

Okay, the Elmo thing is creepy, as in pedophile creepy. And no to skin. Why can't they make power suits for small girls?
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow