Join the Madness

Friday, October 21, 2011

The Greatest Gift

I've received some wonderful gifts in my life. Some, like my children, were anxiously awaited.  Others, like a small blue sapphire necklace from hubby when we were dating were completely unexpected.  Not to dis my children, but I think it's the unanticipated gifts that really take my breath away.

Good health, a roof over my family's head -- these are all wonderful gifts and I'm very appreciative.  I don't want to sound like an ingrate when I tell you what's upstaged all of these.

I think it's the gift you get when you're down, that really has the power to make your spirit soar.  And while I won't say I've been depressed, I will say I haven't been myself lately. I'm such a die hard optimist and sunshiny kinda person that my depression is still pretty perky from the outside looking in. 

But I've been off. 

Feeling lumpier than usual, and tired, and just not me.

I should add that I've been avoiding the scale because I KNEW it would have bad news for me and if I saw that number, I'd have to DO something and, well, sometimes ignorance is bliss, ya know?

But this particular morning, feeling strangely immune to the taunts of the scale (or perhaps I was delirious), I stepped on the sucker and held my breath fully expecting it to register at LEAST 10 pounds more than it was supposed to.

But you know what?

It was the SAME!  My zero weight gain was the biggest, greatest gift I could have received. I'm still celebrating this non-victory. 

I deserved those extra 10 pounds, lemme tell ya.  I earned every stinking one of them and I'm a bit flummoxed why they weren't there.  HAPPY, but definitely perplexed.

Any unexpected victories / surprises / gifts popping up in your lives?

8 comments:

Bethany Elizabeth said...

I so know that feeling. Scales are fickle, that's for certain sure. :) And no surprising victories at the moment, but we'll see! :)

Kelly said...

I absolutely agree with you about unexpected gifts, Vicki! I just received one of the greatest unexpected gifts in 4 found abandoned kittens during a business trip this past week. This while I was trying to deal with something very negative in my life that I just need to let go of. I took them in and focused on finding these kitties a home as I was not from the region. How this focus helped me see the bigger picture and the greater lesson of letting go turned out to be a true miracle in my life. Thank you for your timely post!

Karen Walker said...

Hey Vicki, that's great. I had a similar experience. Just got back from 3 weeks in Greece and Turkey and was sure I'd gained 10 pounds, but it was only 2. I was ecstatic.
Karen

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

you lucky skunk!!!
how very cool!
my kids surprise me with drawings sometimes. you're right. it's all about the surprise. :)

shelly said...

Smiles to you! I stay away from the scales. As long as my clothes are a little loose, it's all good.

Dawn Ius said...

Ack. I have been avoiding my scale because I KNOW I have gained instead of lost...hoping for the same surprise you received. Congrats!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'd say that was a good gift!

BECKY said...

You have the digital kind, I assume? Remember the "old" ones, where you could try to stand on one corner or jiggle around, or even set the little arrow thingy back a few pounds??!! :D

Congrats on your gift! The best ones are free!