Join the Madness

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

The Addiction Explained...

I admit I was deliberately vague with my clues, but even after I tell you the answer, a few of these need to be explained.

The Addiction: Q-Tips



The clues again with commentary in bold (the red was an eye killer...sorry)


  • I use this everyday.  Sometimes several times. (they itch...which is really a sign I should stop using them, but the itch drives me crazy)
  • I've been using this for as long as I can remember (Mom used to clean her ears with the back end of a bobby pin...so really a QTip is way safer)
  • It is not illegal, though no self-respecting physician would condone its use (hearing loss, punctured ear drums, etc.)
  • I've tried quitting, but obviously haven't been successful (see the itch comment above...)
  • When I don't use this, it's ALL I can think about (see the itch comment above...)
  • I'm afraid someone will walk in on me while I'm using this (I went to school with a guy who punctured his eardrum.  If that's not enough to give you the willies, I'll add four more words: he answered the phone.  Not sure how you forget you have a QTip in your ear, but ever since I'm afraid someone is gonna sneak up behind me and I'll jump and injure myself)
  • I'm concerned about side effects from using this -- which are serious and possibly irreversible (see last comment.  Ouch.)
  • Chances are good you have this in your house (do you?)
I loved reading all your guesses! 

9 comments:

Kim said...

Alternatives to your habit: http://www.livestrong.com/article/146111-remedies-for-inner-ear-itching/

I had to use the water/peroxide on The Boy, as he had tons of wax in his ears - enough to cause him to fail a hearing test.

And here I thought he was just ignoring me.

The glands associated with earwax production are similar to sweat glands - so if you sweat, you make wax. That's why adolescents have increased wax production (and I suppose the same could be said for menopausal women who are rockin' the hot flashes).

Manzanita said...

Never in a million years would I have guessed Q-tips. I go through boxes and boxes, too. I buy them at the big store, Costo, by the big cellophane sealed bagsful.

Al said...

I never would have guessed!

I guess you must be devious ;-)

vic caswell (aspiring-x) said...

never ever would have guessed that one!

Karen Walker said...

I never would have guessed q-tips either. Confession - I still use them, too
Karen

Jolene Perry said...

OKay - that was HYSTERICAL :D
You ALWAYS crack me up!

Jessica Bell said...

oh wow! LOLOL. I have this addiction too!!!!

Julie Dao said...

HAHA! I didn't know that having a Q-tip addiction was possible, but now that I think about it, I use them a lot too. Never in the ears though - Mom taught me not to do that!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Why do they make earswabs if you're not supposed to stick them in your ear?