Join the Madness

Friday, July 15, 2011

Undecided

This post could be about finding inspiration in unexpected places


or


It could be an admonishment to make sure you are challenging your characters enough


or 


It could be about zeroing in on the real story.


or


It could be a bit of all three.


We got a "newspaper" in the mail recently.  Just a little local thing with about 20 pages or so focusing on health care issues.  I don't usually read these things, but this time I did.


There was a full page article about a visit the author made to a local nursing home.  Essentially, she put in 4-5 pictures and explained what each one was.  Pretty generic fare until I got to #4.


Picture #4 was of an elderly man doing a jigsaw puzzle.  No big deal?  He's deaf and blind.  


Yes, blind.


And he spends his days putting jigsaw puzzles together.  Carefully testing one piece at a time.


And yet he only gets two sentences out of a page long article.  Talk about a missed opportunity for a compelling, heart-warming piece.


It's been several weeks, but I can't get the guy out of my head.  I don't remember his name or what nursing home he resides in, but I remember his infallible patience and determination.  

And now, so will you.

9 comments:

Sarah said...

You're absolutely right--that's pretty incredible. I'd love to read more about him! And that's certainly the kind of interest we'd all like to inspire in others with regard to our characters, so important to keep in mind. People can do amazing things in the face of incredible adversity, so we shouldn't coddle our own characters or they will never "live up to their potential." Thanks!

GigglesandGuns said...

Definitely a wasted opportunity for a great piece.
I will keep that thought for my own inspiration.
ave a great weekend.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Now that would've been a great story!

Bish Denham said...

Wow! I totally agree. Most anyone could learn something from him I'm sure.

cherie said...

Wow. The author missed a great opportunity. Just wow at the blind guy.

I saw a piano performance once, by a blind guy. He was INCREDIBLE! I'm always amazed at people's resilience and their ability to rise above their circumstances.

LTM said...

very VERY cool. Totally a missed opportunity, although a thoughtful editor will assign a feature on that guy. I would hope~ :o) <3

Lenny Lee* said...

hi miss vicki! wow i cant think how hard its gotta be doing a jig saw puzzle when you cant see. that guys way special. for sure i could like to know more about him. it could be a real neat story.
...hugs from lenny

Susanne Drazic said...

What a shame that whoever wrote the article missed out on a unique opportunity. Thanks for sharing about it.

Brent Wescott said...

Am I the only one who thinks he was wasting his time? (JK)