Join the Madness

Tuesday, July 12, 2011

Phone Etiquette


I hate calling an office where the wet blanket answers the phones.  

The one that makes you feel guilty for calling them because y'know, picking up the receiver takes soooo much effort.  

Or the ones who don't say anything but "Hello" and you sit there for 30 seconds trying to determine if you dialed the wrong number.


I've been answering phones at work for decades, so I know the rules and I go out of my way to answer each and every call in a cheerful, professional manner.


And when the voice on the other end asks politely, "How are you doing?" I say (with enthusiasm), "I'm fantastic!" Try it sometime, it takes people by surprise.


But as I was saying, I know the rules.  I know that no matter what the caller ID says, you answer every single call in the same way, because the one time you deviate from the plan is the time you'll end up with your foot in your mouth.


So it is a mystery why I didn't follow my own protocol yesterday.  My cell phone rang.  I normally answer "This is Vicki" because I find it annoying to call a cell and have to verify that I'm talking to the person I'm looking for.  You'd be surprised how often people answer other people's phones.


Anyway, for some reason I thought the caller ID said "Jeff Cell", which for your newbies would be my husband. So I pick up the phone and say, "Helllllloooo studly!"  

Which I never do.  NEVER.  

Don't ask me why I did.  

And, of course, it wasn't my husband.  The man on the other end says, "Uh, this is Chuck from (redacted business name)" 

Woops.


So let my mockable moment be a lesson unto the rest of you.  Verify who is on the other end before you engage in any potentially embarrassing dialogue.

16 comments:

June Freaking Cleaver said...

I bet if he was a mechanic, you'd get great service from Mr. Studly...

Jessica Bell said...

uh oh ... lolol

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Hey, you might've made his day!

Clarissa Draper said...

I agree with Alex, I think you made Chuck's day!

Miranda Hardy said...

Great story! I love it.

shelly said...

LOL

Susanne Drazic said...

Woops! LOL

Karen Walker said...

Oh, Vicki, this is hilarious.
Karen

Carole Anne Carr said...

My husband had the habit of picking up the phone and saying: 'Battersea Cats and Dogs Home' on frequent occasions.... did lead to problems.

Jolene Perry said...

The receptionist at my husband's office answers in the most obnoxious way ANYTIME she recognizes the number! The worst part about it is that even when she gets caught, she STILL doesn't catch on that it might be not such a good thing...

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

So funny!

At one point in college our phone number was 1 digit off from alcoholics annonymous and 1 digit off from a bar. Yeah, we got a few interesting calls.

Lenny Lee* said...

yikes miss vicki! you got the most strange and funny stuff that happens to you. you get me laughing so much. ha ha.
...hugs from lenny

Damyanti said...

Ouch. :) we live and learn!

Nicole MacDonald said...

My problem is having answered the phone at a variety of companies over the years I occasionally get stuck as to where I am *snort* then have to run through the list in my head ;p The people I can't stand are the ones who apologise profusely and you can hear them cringing over the phone *shudder* I'm nothing but polite and chatty! This instantly turns me into *grrrr*

Shannon said...

lol love it! I have to tell you about the BMW story sometime.

Brent Wescott said...

Just a little devil's advocating here, but sometimes when I'm surly on the phone, which is probably all the time, I actually get more attention to what I need. Businesses don't like it when you're mad at them.

But I hardly ever call anyone "Studly" on the phone.

Building Castles on the Beach