Join the Madness

Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Pet Peeves - Over Legislation

A town nearby recently instituted a mandate for all landlords to perform criminal background checks on all applicants.


Let me start by saying if I owned an apartment or house I needed to rent out, I would do background checks on everyone.  It's good business, right?


My problem is that the city has made this a REQUIREMENT. There's a $1,000 fine for not complying.  If I own an apartment building and don't feel like doing the background check for whatever reason, that's my business and my risk.  


Obviously, they are hoping landlords will refuse to rent apartments to those with criminal records.  But isn't that discrimination? What happens to those with a record?  They've got to live somewhere, too.  


There are so many gray areas here.  What happens if you have something on your record, but it was a minor offense or it was many years ago and you've been "clean" since then, or there were extenuating circumstances or  you were wrongly accused of something?  

I'm waiting for someone to sue over this one.  It'll be very interesting.


And that's just the tip of the iceberg.  Seat belt laws irritate me as do car seat regulations.  Yes, they save lives.  And I wear mine every time I get in the car.  When my kids were little we always used the infant car seat or booster seat.  Now they always wear their seat belts, too.

These are things I do because they make sense.  It angers me that the government TELLS me I have to do them.  And every time one of these things passes, we're one step closer to them taking control of other areas.  

It's now illegal to sell a used crib because it could be dangerous to infants.  I'm all for protecting our children, but is it reasonable for our government to outlaw used cribs? Seriously?  Shouldn't parents assess the risk for themselves?

I'm not political.  Really. I don't want to debate anyone or start finger pointing at one party over another.  I just want to know where this is all going to end?

7 comments:

Creepy Query Girl said...

Yikes- no selling used cribs? wtf? It seems like the government is taking more and more liberties in the name of 'civil protection'- on the other hand (And I'm sorry to say this)- our country sure does have a lot of stupid people. LOL. I wish there was a 'common sense' test they could distribute to find out what ares really need this kind of legislation and which areas don't.

Kate said...

Yes, there are a LOT of stupid people here in America, but they have the right to be stupid. I get very concerned when the government starts legislating every aspect of our lives- it's dangerous to depend on the government to take care of us. All of these laws and bills cost money as well, money our government could put towards paying down the enormous debt they've racked up all in the name of taking care of us.

GigglesandGuns said...

Money determines the law. How will they know you didn't check someone? At about $100 a check what do you think will happen?
People are willing giving up their rights without thinking. Because in this country we always do it the easy way.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That's called government having too much control. And time on their hands. Do something about the economy instead!

Bish Denham said...

I am SO with you on all of this. It's like government is trying to regulate common sense, which is impossible. There will ALWAYS be someone who is just plain...dim.

I think all this need for rules and regs can be traced back to when it was mandated that matchbooks have the strikers on the back with the instructions, "close cover before striking." Huh?

I tell you, it's a miracle I survived childhood riding around in a open jeep without seat belts or a roll-bar.

Jolene Perry said...

I am SO in agreement here.

There will be a lawsuit over the criminal background check. that's insane. I know a lot of people who rent to family or close friends. Sucks.

KarenG said...

So I'm wondering how the govt who passed this law will KNOW that a certain landlord didn't do a criminal background check? And what's the point? Once it is done, does the law say you must or must not rent to these people, or is that left up to the individual landlords? It just makes no sense to me at all.