Join the Madness

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

Painting Problems

Daughterling has been itching to paint her room...again. She got that from me, I love to paint because it's such a cheap way to completely change the look of your room.  


Anyhow, I've been putting her off since we did her room last year and haven't updated any other room in the house since then.  But, when she offered to pay for the paint, AND do all the work herself, I didn't have any arguments left.

I did some coaching though.


Like removing the pictures on the wall she'd hung with that command adhesive tape stuff.  I think we used the stuff rated for 50 pounds and these were little 5 x 7 picture frames.  They were STUCK.  I suggested she take a spatula and wedge it underneath while tugging on the frame.


It worked.


Sorta.  She ran out in a panic, it had pulled the paint off AND part of the paper from the drywall.  


Woops.


I did the other one without an issue.


Then I suggested she wash her walls before she primed them.  At some point her friends had written on her walls with a stick of deodorant (or something).  Off she went with a washcloth only to emerge a few minutes later to tell me the paint had come off.


I thought maybe the washcloth had gotten a little red, but got up to check it out like a good mother should.


The paint HAD come off in a perfect little circle.  I've never seen anything like it.  She wasn't using chemicals or soap or anything, just WATER on a regular ol' bathroom washcloth.


Even more puzzling, I discovered is that you could PEEL the paint off.  Ever peeled dried glue off your hand?  Or a facemask off your face?  It came off that easy!  We had a great time wetting the paint down and peeling great splotches off.  

Here's a pic daughterling took right after we made the discovery. Sorry about the one-eyed pirate look, I was trying to back out of the picture. I later peeled the entire wall floor to ceiling without it ripping.  It was the coolest thing ever....especially since she didn't have to prime!




The only problem is I don't remember what brand of paint this was, so I have no idea if we're about to repeat the problem or not.


Anyone else peeled paint off before?

5 comments:

Jessica Bell said...

Oh my gosh I've never seen anything like this! That is so weird! If you find out the brand, update your post with it will ya?

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

That must've been some cheap paint. Hope you splurged on the new stuff.

Bethany Elizabeth said...

Ha, peeling paint off... I think this might have happened in my brother's room when I was a kid, but I can't really remember. :)

Lindsay said...

That is weird, but kind of awesome. I bet it'd be fun to peel that paint off. Like when I used to peel PVA glue off my hand as a kid. I know, I was an odd kid. LOL.

Susanne Drazic said...

I've never seen anything like that. What color does your daughter want to paint her room?