Join the Madness

Monday, July 25, 2011

Mock Me Monday

I've mentioned before (though it's been awhile) that my friend and I used to call the local d.j.'s back in high school (and the year after). we befriended a few of them, which was really helpful (in the pre-iPod era) when we wanted to hear our favorite song.
.
Anyhow, there used to be a disc jockey who worked at the college radio station -- about the only station I could hear the likes of the Cure, Depeche Mode, or the Smiths.  I'd call him to request a song every week and would often chat in between his on-air sessions. 

One night, he made the remark that the name he used on air was not his real name.  I bet I could figure it out.  He didn't think I could.  It just so happened that I left Vegas about that time to visit my sister in Wisconsin.  I bought a series of Wisconsin postcards and sent him a postcard every couple days with another letter of his name until I'd spelled out his *real* last name. 


When I got back to town, he was a little weirded out (but more impressed) that I'd figured it out...and wanted to know how I did it.  This was before the internet and Google, remember.  But it was still laughably easy.  In one of our early conversations he'd told me he worked as the art director for a local magazine.  I picked up a copy and checked the credit page.  

Nowadays, I'm able to harness the power of Google and use my stalking detective skills for good.  But don't worry, I've not put any of you under the microscope.

6 comments:

Miranda Hardy said...

It's amazing how easy it is today to find info about anyone out, but I'm sure he was impressed back then.

chasing empty pavements said...

haha I love this! You'd make a great Stalker..er Detective :)

chasing empty pavements said...

haha I love this! You'd make a great Stalker..er Detective :)

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Oh you're good all right!

Jules said...

Super Sleuth! I miss DJ's. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

I was a radio dj for my the last part of my senior year and the first part of my freshman year in college. It was so much fun. The coolest thing was when I went on remotes....I interviewed Miss USA, Terri Utley. She was some kind of cool.