Join the Madness

Monday, July 4, 2011

Mock Me Monday - Penny Pinching

I'm pretty sure we all like money. I have a particular fondness for coins.  We have a ginormous bottle we stash spare coins in and I love separating the quarters, dimes, nickels, and pennies out and seeing how much we've saved.

I've been like this for as long as I can remember.  Back in high school I used to save pennies because my family hated them and would give me handfuls of them -- just glad to be rid of them.  I put them in a gallon milk jug, and it takes awhile to fill it up but it holds about $80 worth of pennies. Not bad, eh?

I didn't have much of a life back then, and I found myself doing some odd things just to pass the time. You know, like separating my M&M's to see how many there were of each color and calculating the % of each.  I was curious to see if every bag had the same ratio of colors or not.  Don't ask me what the results were...that was a long time ago.

It's kinda humiliating to admit, but since this is Mock Me Monday, embarrassing is the name of the game, isn't it?

So here's another angsty teenage confession:

I used to clean my pennies when I was really bored. I used copper cleaner designed for the bottom of Mom's Revereware pans.  I also used a combination of baking soda and vinegar. I'd use an old toothbrush and spend more time than I should have trying to polish them.

Much like the M&M's, I don't recall the results...which kinda disappoints me, to tell ya the truth.  I'm tempted to try it again to refresh my memory.  My kids might disown me if I do, though.

8 comments:

Emy Shin said...

I used to save coins, too. It feels wonderful to count them after a while. :)

Matthew MacNish said...

I used to throw pennies away, because they annoyed me so much. I wish I'd had someone to give them to.

Jules said...

LOL, I still collect coins. How I bought my first couch. But I must admit I've never polished mine. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Jessica Bell said...

Oh my gosh, I used to do exactly the same thing with the Aussie five cent pieces. But they were silver so I used my mother's cigarette ash to polish them up :o) LOL

Bethany Elizabeth said...

There is no shame in making things shiny! Never ever ever! :)

Susanne Drazic said...

I like saving coins. I'm currently saving them to help pay for my son's graduation party, which is coming up fairly soon!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

If we only had back all that wasted time!

Shannon said...

I agree with Bethany - there's no such thing as too many shiny things in the world! =)

I didn't collect coins, but I had a wicked stuffed animal collection.