Join the Madness

Monday, July 18, 2011

Mock Me Monday - Party

I can't believe I haven't shared this story with you before.  And if it weren't for my daughter, I might have left it repressed in a dark corner of my mind.

You see, daughterling is about to turn 16, so she's been dropping hints about how she wants her cake decorated, composing lists of presents she'd like  (she must think she's an heiress because some of her items make me laugh.  Out. Loud.)  She'd also like a party which is fine because she's not had one for a few years. 

I know some of you out there plan parties for all the birthdays, but in the Rocho household, we do things a bit differently.  We celebrate amongst ourselves every year, but we only do the all-out party every couple years.

Guess we're stingy.

So whilst daughter was waxing poetic about her birthday plans, I had a major flashback.

I had 2 parties growing up.  One for my 5th birthday and one for my 17th.  It only took 12 years of sighs, eye-rolling, and begging to wear my mom down.  I'm not complaining though.  I've never really been one who likes being in the spotlight.  I don't care for crowds and I prefer small, intimate gatherings over monster bashes.

But anyway, I was 17 and this party was gonna make up for lost time.  It'd be COOL.

Oh, did I mention I'd just moved to Vegas?  So I wanted to prove that I wasn't just "an Iowa farm girl".  I've never lived on a farm in my life.

Mom bought invitations for me and I about died when I saw them.  In fact, I think I did die for a few seconds.  I love my mom. Apart from this momentary lapse in judgment, she was the greatest.

You see, Mom had purchased Cookie Monster invitations (you know, from Sesame Street).  Granted I loved Cookie Monster when I was FIVE, but at 17?  Not so much.

I used them anyway and most of my friends thought it was a joke, so I went with it.

All in all, it was a fun night, despite the invitation snafu.  





Tell me how your family has embarrassed you?

6 comments:

Val Thevictorian said...

When my oldest son was five, the Child Development teacher down the hall from my classroom complimented him on a picture he drew of me. "Wow! You really made Mom's hands big and red!"

My son replied, "That is blood. From slapping me."

shelly said...

For my eleventh birthday and party. My mom made a white pant suit in which I started my bloody-red period in that very day for the whole world to see.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Considering your sense of humor, I'm sure the Cookie Monster invites fit!
Are you planning on passing down that tradition and buying similar invites for your daughter.

Bethany Elizabeth said...

That's great, and I'm glad your friends saw the humor in it. :)

Melissa Sarno said...

I love cookie monster! That's fun that you rolled with it. I probably would have thrown a fit. My poor mother.

Susanne Drazic said...

Glad the invites worked out in the end. Sounds like you had some great friends, if they were able to find the humor of the invites.