Join the Madness

Monday, July 11, 2011

Mock Me Monday - Kaboom

I don't need to tell you that writers have very vivid and active imaginations.  

Or that writers have a tendency to internalize comments and experiences for future reference.  

I'm here to tell you, though, that it can backfire on you ahem me.

I remember hearing someone talking about smelling gasoline whenever they started their car and it wasn't until like a month later when they took it in for another problem they discovered there was a leak in the fuel line and they were lucky it never started a fire....or explosion. 

Fast forward a couple years to our pain-in-the-butt truck.  Every six months, like clockwork, the danged thing has landed in the shop.  Lately we've been having trouble starting it.  It's like you just need to turn the ignition a fraction of an inch further than it actually goes.  Mechanic says he can't find anything wrong with it, but it didn't used to be that way but whatever.

So the other day, I go to the garage and I think I smell gas.  I open the garage door, but the smell doesn't dissipate.  This is where my imagination kicks into overdrive. I'm scared to try starting the engine because all I can think about is that leaky fuel line I'd heard about once and I was fairly sure the truck was gonna blow up.  

It didn't help that I'd been scarred by an apartment fire once.  Jumping off your balcony at 6 a.m. has a tendency to do that.

I sucked it up and started it...but pulled the truck out of the garage into the driveway right away so if it should become a raging inferno, the kidlings would be safe inside the house.

The truck didn't blow up.

And there was nothing wrong with the fuel line.

I smelled gas because hubbers had filled up the gas tank for the lawn mower the day before and had left it in the back of the truck.

See?  I told you that active imagination can backfire!

5 comments:

GigglesandGuns said...

LOL I'm laughing but I so understand. Done this one myself.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Yeah, that's funny, but better safe than sorry, right?

Bethany Elizabeth said...

Yeah, but at least everyone's safe! Being cautious can't be all bad, you know. :)

Ed Pilolla said...

it's funny, yes, only after taking said precaution.

Brent Wescott said...

I used to have that same problem until I realized I should leave the gas can for the mower outside. Then someone stole my gas can. You can't win. :)

Building Castles on the Beach