Join the Madness

Friday, July 29, 2011

Lawn Care Rant

I'll probably offend what few male readers I have out there, so let me apologize in advance.  If you're one of those guys who takes lawn care so seriously it ought to be considered a sport, then by all means continue with the madness of your ways.  Oh, and if there's some sort of Mad Men Lawn Care Club, send me an application for my hubby.  Thanks.


It's been pretty hot and dry around these parts recently and I'm kinda surprised -- and irked -- when I see people watering their lawns.  This prejudice started in Vegas, actually.  But it's a whole different ballgame out there.  It is, after all, a desert and lush green lawns take a lot of pampering to sustain.  

In fact -- True Story -- (it sounds more dramatic when I capitalize it like that) one morning I notice a team of maintenance guys fussing over the sprinkler system outside the apartment.  They were out there all morning working on the dumb thing.  Apparently they couldn't get it working again because later that afternoon they were outside SPRAY PAINTING the grass green.  I swear!  After that, I started looking more carefully and a lot of places in Vegas have bits of green overspray on the sides of walls and sidewalks.  Go figure.


Where was I?  Oh, yes.  Watering your lawn.  I'm against it.  If you have to water it (like Vegas) to keep it alive, you should have gone with another landscape option.  And if you're in other parts of the country and you're just doing it because it hasn't rained lately, well stop.  It's grass, who cares if there's a little brown patch for a week?  The minute it rains it will bounce back, greener than ever.


Which leads me to the weed vs. plant vs. grass debate.  Every Spring Chemlawn calls us and tries to guilt us into using their services by telling us they've noticed *crabgrass* or (gasp) dandelions on our property.


Guess what?  I don't care.  If it's green, it stays.  And I love dandelions. They take me back to my childhood.  I've picked a gazillion of them over the years.  And now that we have a bunny, we have a perfect way to get rid of them.  Talk about the perfect *green* solution!

8 comments:

Miranda Hardy said...

Yeah, lawn men can be a bit crazy at times. If I could have a dirt yard, I would. lol

Manzanita said...

I've had it with grass. Bye Bye. I have just one little patch for the dog's poopy park and the rest is stone and bark. Makes my life easier.

Manzanita@Wannabuyaduck

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Spray painting lawns is dumb. And I don't care if it doesn't rain for a while. Means the grass doesn't grow as fast and I don't have to cut it as often. I do apply weed and feed, but a little brown grass doesn't bother me.
One of these days I'm going to astroturf the whole thing!

Lenny Lee* said...

hi miss vicki! yikes! i didnt ever hear of painting grass. for sure thats way strange. for us we dont got not one piece of grass. we just got trees and bushes and all natural stuff all round our house. so we dont gotta do any outside stuff.
...hugs from lenny

Kimberly Franklin said...

Our yard has lots of brown spots in it right now. And it's super hot. We've actually started watering around the street and behind our fence in the backyard (because kids walk up and down this little ditch/grassy alley) to help cut down for chances on grass fires. I'm ready for fall!

Carole Anne Carr said...

Thanks for the visit, Vicki, and for your kind encouragement.

Susanne Drazic said...

LOL, painted on grass. Maybe I should try something like that to cover all the brown in our lawn. Or maybe a solution of water/green food coloring.
: )

Jules said...

ROFL, I once threatened to pave my yard and paint it green but never paint the grass.

BTW, the EPA has issue with lawn chemicals, just ask them if they will pay your fine and they will leave you alone or they did me. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow