Join the Madness

Tuesday, July 19, 2011

I'm Sorry, Mrs. Blaney.

When I was in second grade, we did a massive art/research project.

Each student was assigned a president.  We had to do research and then design a 4x4 square that represented that president.  We then copies our designs (using special fabric crayons) onto a piece of white cotton and someone sewed them together into a presidential quilt.


I got lucky.  I was assigned Jimmy Carter...the peanut farmer.  No research required.


My luck ran out when I was coloring my peanut, though.  

First, it ended up looking like a potato because my art skills are sadly lacking now and were even worse back then.


Second of all, I broke the brown crayon.


I quickly finished my peanut, put the crayon back in the box and tried my best to look un-guilty.


My teacher discovered the crime soon enough and started asking each of us who'd used brown if we knew who'd broken it.


I lied.


I lied big and bad.  To a TEACHER. (Am I going to Hell for that?)


I'm sure she saw through me because I'm a lousy liar now and was even worse as a kid.  She pretended to believe me though.


Anyway, it's been thirty years and I doubt Mrs. Blaney is even around anymore.  And if she is, I seriously doubt she's combing the internet hoping to find an apology from a former wayward 8 year old student.

Mrs. Blaney wherever you are, I'm sorry I broke your crayon.  And I'm even sorrier I lied about it.

9 comments:

Miranda Hardy said...

I'm sure she's still dealing with lying 8 year olds. lol Cute story.

chasing empty pavements said...

Awww, this is cute! This reminds me of Chunk in the Goonies when he starts telling the Fratelli's all the bad things he's done in his life! LOL. Love it! Missed your blog posts during my blog hiatus btw!

Karen Walker said...

Oh, Vicki, I loved this post. I can just see poor little 8-year-old you and that brown crayon. Isn't it funny, the things that stick with us?
Karen

Jen Daiker said...

Bahahaha and your awesome continues. Hilarious. I've found that one apology goes a very long way. Job well done.

Bish Denham said...

Oh my, such a sin for such a little girl. And every time you see a brown crayon do you remember?

GigglesandGuns said...

Too cute!
And now you call it fiction, how things change. :D

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I'm just amazed you remember that!

Val Thevictorian said...

You never know. I'm combing the internet for an apology from that 7th-grade girl who, during my first year of teaching, drew a picture of me with the caption, "Mrs. Val, the ugly, ugly science teacher. So ugly even the dogs don't like her."

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

On behalf of all the teachers who've been lied to....thanks.

Now don't you feel better?