Join the Madness

Wednesday, June 8, 2011

Thanks, Nick.

You don't have to look far to find some expert or other cautioning you about the evils of television. They'll tell you all the awful things watching TV can do to your child.
To which I've always thought, "Well, I watched TV when I was a kid and I turned out okay."

To be sure, my kids watch enough TV to send those experts into cardiac arrest.  Wait, let me rephrase that.


The TV is on all day long, but I really don't know how much the kids actually watch.  Most of the time it's just noise in the background.  I've tried turning it off, but then hubbers comes into the room and turns it back on again.

So, yeah, the kids watch their fair share of television, and while I agree that there are other, more valid pursuits away from the screen, I don't think it's a big deal. 


I mentioned the other day that my daughter will be in France for the better part of the next three weeks.  I attribute this trip to her television viewing.  Yup, you heard me right.  She's in France because she watched too much TV as a youngster.  And I'm talking Nickelodeon, not the Travel Channel.

Do you remember the Rug Rats?  My daughter loved it.  She watched it as often as I would let her.  So when the Rug Rats in Paris movie came out, she had to see it.  And that, of course, led to an obsession with Paris which in due time motivated her to take French 3 years in a row which just happened to be the prerequisite for this school trip. 


Moral of the story:  My daughter is having the cultural experience of a lifetime and one hell of a summer vacation all because I let her watch TV.

Doesn't sound too evil, does it?  Thanks, Nickelodeon.  Thanks a lot.



7 comments:

Jolene Perry said...

Too funny.

Something to add - I have many friends who drastically limit how much time their kids spend in front of the TV, and when they come to my house, it's ALL they want to do. My kids could care less. My TV isn't on the time, but if they want it on, it goes on. Funny how crazy some people get.

And wow, France. Been once, wanted to go back since I went. Hope she has a blast!

Jules said...

LOL, good point and here's another. I do not buy anything made by "ACME." Remember the Coyote and the Road Runner?! :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

Kristi said...

That is SO cool...congrats to your daughter.

I'm taking this to mean that my son's sudden obsession with all things Rugrats is totally healthy. ;)

GigglesandGuns said...

Kudos to your daughter.
Only you would credit Rug Rats for an accomplished daughter.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

I confess - my TV is often background noise as well. And I watched a lot as a kid, but don't think it warped me. All those science fiction shows made me create a story that would eventually become a book, but i wouldn't call that warping. (Unless I've just coined a new Star Trek term!)

Bethany Elizabeth said...

I think the goal is everything in moderation. Especially for kids - so many TV shows are interactive and help kids learn. But there can be too much of a good thing, you know?

Janet Johnson said...

LOL! I love it! I went to Paris when I was 14 and loved it (except for when I didn't because of homesickness, but those moments were short). Your daughter will have a blast!

Yay for Rug Rats. :)