Join the Madness

Monday, June 6, 2011

Mock Me Monday - The Shower

Just when I thought I might run out of Mock Me Monday material, I go and do something colossally stupid to keep the material coming in...

I've been living in my house for almost 7 years now.  One of the greatest things about our house is that it has 2 bathrooms.  Technically, our old house had a second bathroom, but the second one was in the basement and was one of those icky, creepy, spider-laden bathrooms.  I think you'll forgive me if I neglect to include it in the count.

As I was saying, we have two bathrooms.  We also have four bedrooms.  A couple years ago hubs and I moved downstairs and let the kids each have a room of their own upstairs.  Ahhhh, the peace and quiet we enjoy -- as long as they're not stomping around above us that is, but that's another story.  Where was I? Ah, yes,  the bathrooms.  Count 'em ONE and TWO.

Once we moved the bedroom downstairs it become way more convenient to shower downstairs than to lug all my stuff upstairs.  Makes sense, right?

Lately, we've had a slew of things go bad on us.  Our fixture in the kitchen came loose and wobbled every time you moved the faucet from one side of the sink to the other.  Our upstairs shower has developed a leak and now has one puny spray shooting straight up. Our water softener went kaput and killed the water pressure to the whole house, and then one day last week, I thought for sure the main plumbing drain/line had sprung a leak, but it was just the upstairs toilet.  Oh and our A/C is 40 years old and this is probably it's last functional summer. We've had issues lately.  Lots of them.

So there I was one morning last week, hopping in the shower only to be scalded so badly I cut my shower short and made a beeline to the water heater to turn the temp down.  The next morning, I tried again with the same results.  It was HOT and I couldn't turn the handle to cool it down.  I washed as best I could, hopping in and out of the spray.  I dreaded telling hubs that another thing had broken.  He'd just done the bills the night before and had gone off on a rant that had us all cowering.  I didn't want to be the one to tell him the shower was broken.

At some point in my misadventures, reason always rears it's ugly head and shows me the error of my ways.  Don't ask me why reason is always so chronically late with her appearances on my behalf.  I'd very much appreciate her prompt attention to these matters, but I guess I'd rather have her show up late than not at all.  And so it was I discovered that I'd been turning the handle the wrong direction.  Yes, after showering downstairs almost exclusively for the last two or three years, (an estimated several hundred showers at a minimum and potentially closer to a thousand at the high end), I somehow mix up the hot and cold and it takes me TWO FREAKING DAYS to figure it out.

I consider this proof that I shall never run out of Mock Me Moments.




12 comments:

June Freaking Cleaver said...

I totally get this.

After three years in this place, I still can't remember what wall the bathroom light switch is on.

I think I need a personal aide to help me manage my skills for daily living.

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

Now that's funny! I'll do that in hotel rooms and about kill myself.

Jules said...

OMG, I can't stop laughing at that one!! Somehow I can actually picture it as well, probably because I have done that. Nice to know there is another crayon in this box. :)
Jules @ Trying To Get Over The Rainbow

GigglesandGuns said...

I'm with Jules -- I can't stop laughing.
It's so nice not to be the only one like this.

Colene Murphy said...

Lol!!! Don't you love those light bulb moments that so should have gone off earlier? *DING* XD

Bethany Elizabeth said...

Lol, I'll never run out of those kind of moments either. :) Yay!

Sharon K. Mayhew said...

Hahaha! My daughter and I were sure we were turning on the light in the neighbor's dinning room by turning on a mystery switch by our front door. Turned out we were turning on one of our outside lights and it reflected in his dinning room. :)

Susanne Drazic said...

Vicki, I can totally relate to having to deal with several home repairs. My list seems to get longer and longer.

Carolyn V said...

Lol! At least you figured it out after two days and not a week. =)

Shannon O'Donnell said...

Ha ha ha ha ha! I love you. :-)

Jolene Perry said...

Awesome.

I keep waiting for this particular feature to disappear from your blog...

Janet Johnson said...

LOL! You are too funny. BUT, bright side? At least you figured it out BEFORE you told your husband. :D