Join the Madness

Monday, June 13, 2011

Mock Me Monday - The Mailing

I just finished a huge mailing for work.  Sorted, folded, labeled (address), stuffed & sealed a LOT of newsletters.  While I was busy with my one-woman assembly line, I narrowed down my options for this post.  Truthfully, I don't know if it qualifies as a bonafide Mock Me Moment since I'm kinda proud of my problem solving skills.  You decide.


I've done mailings just about everywhere I've worked, and I'm not going to tell you where or when this happened because I don't want any recipients from that time getting grossed out.  So "once upon a time", I had a mailing to get out. 


When I process a mailing, I tend to do one task at a time. I'll collate everything, then I'll fold everything then I'll stuff the envelopes -- you get the picture.  I find I make better time doing it this way than if I sort, fold, stuff & seal one letter at a time.  

This one particular time, I had no envelope sealer available to me. For those of you who don't know what I'm talking about, they're little water bottles with a sponge tip that you use to moisten the glue on the envelopes.  


Trust me, you don't want to lick 200+ envelopes in one sitting.


They look like this:






And I didn't have one. 

I tried using a piece of moistened paper towel, but I didn't have enough control over it.

I tried using a Q-Tip and the control was much better, but there wasn't enough cotton on the tip to do much good.  

And so I took a tampon ( please note the lack of picture!) and dipped the end in water and OMG it worked awesome -- way better than the bottle thing above ever did.  The bottles tend to leak AND the sponge tip is about the size of a quarter, and most envelopes only have a glue strip about a quarter inch wide...so the bottle thing would get the flap all wet.


Now that I've remembered this, I'm TOTALLY going to make the character -- a debt ridden secretary -- in my next WIP use this trick. 

7 comments:

Al said...

we have peel and stick envelopes at my work. Way easier!

June Freaking Cleaver said...

Have the character use the scented ones...what a pretty and personal way to handle business correspondence!

Clarissa Draper said...

Tampons are awesome for many things! Now men will be buying them everywhere!

Alex J. Cavanaugh said...

TMI! TMI!!

GigglesandGuns said...

After I quit laughing at your story I read Alex's comment and started laughing all over.
And seriously, aren't you curious about Clarissa's many other uses?

BECKY said...

OMG...Who would've thought of trying a tampon for that?? Only you, dear Vicki!! Fabulous idea, and hilarious, too!!

BECKY said...

OMG...Who would've thought of trying a tampon for that?? Only you, dear Vicki!! Fabulous idea, and hilarious, too!!